Large collider in France/Switzerland

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Today the BBC posted a report on the Hadron large collider on the border of France and Switzerland.

For some reason the French and the Switzers built the 27 mile project underground and hope to learn
all kinds of things about big bang, black holes, dark matter, and other stuff far too complicated for me.

I guess they've got lots of the worlds biggest best computers hooked up to it taking samples millions of times a second.

It's a real impressive presentation to look at if you understand stuff like that.

I just put a piece of tape over the clock on the microwave.

Best,
rmptr

T

The.Boomer

Large Haldron Collider huh ? I ran into one of those once. :D ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The.Boomer said:
Large Haldron Collider huh ? I ran into one of those once. :D ;D

I hate when that Happens

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Largest particle collider conducts successful test

GENEVA (AP) -- The world's largest particle collider successfully completed its first major test by firing a beam of protons all the way around a 17-mile (27-kilometer) tunnel Wednesday in what scientists hope is the next great step to understanding the makeup of the universe.

After a series of trial runs, two white dots flashed on a computer screen at 10:36 a.m. (0836 GMT) indicating that the protons had traveled the full length of the US$3.8 billion Large Hadron Collider.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BIG_BANG?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Wait a moment!

Slight miscalculation here...

I confused miles with kilometres...

It's aimed at YOUR house! ;D

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hadron Needs Help!

Associated News, September 20
By ALFRED E. NEWMAN – 2 hours ago

GENEVA (AP) — The world's largest atom smasher — which was launched with great fanfare earlier this month — has been damaged worse than previously thought and will be out of commission for at least two months, its operators said Saturday.

Experts have gone into the 17-mile (27-kilometer) circular tunnel housing the Large Hadron Collider under the Swiss-French border to examine the damage that halted operations about 36 hours after its Sept. 10 startup, said James Newman, spokesman for CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

"It's too early to say precisely what happened, but soon as we figure out all these buttons and switches, the instructions are in French, you know, but it seems to be a faulty electrical connection between two magnets that stopped superconducting, melted and led to a mechanical failure and let the helium out," Newman told The Associated Press. Now the staff are all talking in high pitched voices. Have you ever listened to excited Frenchmen talking frantically in high pitched voices to Swiss speaking German in equally high pitched voices? Mon Dieu!.

Preliminary evidence indicates Francois or Pierre did not plug in the ice machine which ruined lunch. Disgruntled technicians then returned late after riding their bicycles 27 kilometers to the Burger King on the outskirts of Geneva.

The $10 billion particle collider, in the design and construction stages for more than two decades, is the world's largest atom smasher that doesn't work.

;D

T

The.Boomer

:D :D :D Damn If you coud only hear how hard you got me laughing my butt off. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread