Metal Detecting Rules For State And National Parks In Maryland

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD
DAVIDMCGAUGHEY2008 said:
ANYONE KNOW RULES OR REGULATIONS FOR METAL DETECTING IN STATE PARKS OR NATIONAL PARKS IN MARYLAND. I KNOW AT ASSATEAGUE NATIONAL PARK YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED BUT NOT SURE OF THE STATE PARK SIDE OR EVEN THE ASSATEAGUE SIDE IN VIRGINIA ALLOWS IT.
Maryland DNR says no mding on their property.

OP
OP
D
Sep 11, 2008
IS THERE A MD DNR REGULATION THAT STATES THAT AND WHERE CAN I FIND IT. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE MD DNR SITE, MD GEOLOGY SITE, AND FISH AND CONSERVATION SITE BUT HAVE HAD NO LUCK ON ANY REGULATIONS. CAUSE I KNOW OCEAN CITY PUBIC BEACH YOU ARE ABLE TO AND THAT IS RAN BY DNR AS WELL. I DEFINITLY KNOW THAT ON ASSATEAGUE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE ITS PROHIBITED BUT DONT RECALL ANY SIGNS ON THE STATE PARK END. AS LIKE I SAID AS WELL VIRGINIA CONTROLS THE SOUTHERN END OF ASSATEAGUE AND HAVE NOT SEEN SIGNS THERE. I WOULD LIKE TO DETECT ON THE LOCAL BEACHES BUT NEED MORE CLARIFICATION OF THESE RULES.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
my past experience is this. If I decide to go there I ask at the main office first, because even if it's legal, the park ranger can still tell you no. The decision is usually left up to the ranger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no metaldetecting allowed in any National Park in the U.S. it doesnt matter what state your in...

JasonHanscom

Jul 16, 2010
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
@ Treasure_Hunter, did you visit the website I linked to? there is in Assateague State Park on the beach area.....look @ the website that is straight from the park website. Bullet #9 above!

JasonHanscom

Jul 16, 2010
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
This is from the website DNR Maryland "What other restrictions apply to the beach?
Alcohol, glass, pets, fires, and charcoal grills are not allowed on the beach at any time. Metal detectors are only allowed beginning the day after Labor Day through the day before Memorial Day. All holes dug may only be as deep as a small child’s knees and must be filled in before visitors’ leave. No tunneling is allowed. All recreational nets should be set-up parallel to the ocean to allow emergency vehicles access to the beach."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Treasure_Hunter, did you visit the website I linked to? there is in Assateague State Park on the beach area.....look @ the website that is straight from the park website. Bullet #9 above!

Your talking state park, Im talking National Parks... There are a very tiny few exceptions that allow some detecting on beach property, but they are extremely rare and I highly advise anyone that is going to detect to verify with the ranger, they have the legal right to confisicate your detector and your vehicle for breaking the laws on National parks.....A word to the wise..........

JasonHanscom

Jul 16, 2010
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Correct Treasure Hunter, I am referring to state parks, National Parks should know when the GOV is involved they want stake in everything! I used to go with my grand dad when I was a boy, and we never had issues, now I want to take my daughter on a simple beach hunt, who is five years old, and it seems like you have to have a permit to do just about anything in this country! But being the law abiding citizen I am, I agree always ask, I know I don't want my $1000+ detector confiscated! Happy Hunting all!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You can detect in Maryland State parks except for June, July, and August. The catch is you have to get permission from the park office. Sometimes it's yes, and sometimes its no. I have detected Assateague State Park several times. Frank hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

OP
OP
D
Sep 11, 2008
Hello Guys,

Yeah I Knew That Metal Detecting Is Not Allowed In The National Park. I Was Looking For The State Park Which You Provided For Me Jason. Thank You. I Know Ocean City Allows Metal Detecting. I Use A Basic Bounty Hunter Detector Is There Any That Can Filter Out The Black Sand Which Seems Be Setting My Detector Off Or Is There Better Detector That Is Better For Beaches And Water? Mine Can Filter Iron, Aluminum/Zinc, Aluminum/5Cents,& Coins

Thanks
David

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
PI's work best on the beach. My surfmaster PI pulls coins out of black sand with ease. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions