Wanna hear a gripe about Paypal

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased books from an online dealer, NOT ON EBAY, two days in a row and paid them by Paypal for USPS Priority shipping because I wanted them in a hurry. Well, they shipped them parcel post for much cheaper, taking 8 days and 9 days to arrive instead of the 2-3 days that I paid for. I contacted the company by email but they refuse to answer, so I filed a Paypal dispute. Paypal closed the dispute the first day saying that they can't do anything for over charging for shipping. I called Paypal customer service and talked to a representative. He told me that a company could charge for overnight shipping if they wanted to and only ship by slow mail and there is nothing Paypal can do. I could really care less about the very few dollars involved, but feel like if they did this to me twice in two days, they may be doing it to everyone else too. What does everyone think?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
The matter is NOT about shipping.

It is about mis-appropriation of funds.

You asked for one product, (speedy shipping), and got another, (the slow boat).

It's a bait n' switch.

They stole from you.

rmptr

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree with both of you, the shipping & "handling" charges by ebayers and other "order by email" is outrageous. Its to bad they can't be up front with you about the charges and give the service paid for. They call that customer service and when you don't deal with a person you don't get much of that. I won't hardly buy on ebay anymore just due to the "shipping". I once bought a coin off Ebay and the shipping was 3.95 but it was tapped to the inside of an envelop with a .42 cent stamp on it when I got it. I have heard that a lot of seller who accept Paypal now charge an inflated shipping & "Handling" charge due to the 3% pay pal now charges. Now I must say that not all companies are like this and there are still some good guys out there but they are getting fewer and fewer.

Only my two cents worth.
fccdfed

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi folks,
OK uh, I would like to sell some sand scoops that I have made but not advertised yet as I am doing market research.
Was told that Paypal was the surest way of getting funds.
Now I am confused a bit. I don't want to take bad checks or bogus money orders.
And for sure I don't want customers to be unhappy.
I think a good description of the mailing service fees to the address and time factor should be discussed by all parties.
Plain and simple
Grey

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear it..............but i'm nominating you for sickest avatar :P

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
paypal may be the easiest way for most people to transfer funds.

BEST is when people send you cash.

Good luck with that!

:icon_sunny:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Having you pay for express shipping and then sending it snail mail is a rip off.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Just kidding. You should contact the BBB in the city they are located in to file a complaint, if they do not refund the difference.

Sounds like this is standard practice with them, if they did it to you twice.

LOL. You could always order a thrid time to see if this is true. LOL

Ray S

S

stefen

Most likely your account with PayPal is paid thru a credit card such as VISA....if so, file a complaint with VISA and I'd bet you'd get fast results.

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia
I've been victim to paypals crap before too. Those guys are making a killing between their ebay connection and private transfers.
You'd think they'de fight a little harder for you.

OP
OP
E

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally received an email from these people. He said that his shipping clerk had messed up and would be disciplined. He said he had refunded my money 4 days ago and didn't see any need to answer my emails, and was wondering why I hadn't picked up the money. Finally got it straight. He refunded it to someone else by mistake. Finally got it to me. Somehow I just don't believe him.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ha! Ha!

I'll bet he sent 432 refunds last month... all to his friends address!

...I don't know that...

rmptr

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I shop quite regularly on-line and use Pay-Pal for most transations. I have not had the shipping shuffle done to me yet. Do you care to share the name of this book store? Glad they refunded you the differance. Jeff

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
greydigger said:
Hi folks,
OK uh, I would like to sell some sand scoops that I have made but not advertised yet as I am doing market research.
Was told that Paypal was the surest way of getting funds.
Now I am confused a bit. I don't want to take bad checks or bogus money orders.
And for sure I don't want customers to be unhappy.
I think a good description of the mailing service fees to the address and time factor should be discussed by all parties.
Plain and simple
Grey

It's simple: Advertise what you sell, and deliver what you advertise. Paypal can be a bit difficult with disputes at times, but I've had over 600 transactions with them, and can only grumble about 1 or 2.

Bottom line is if you tell people what you are giving them for their money, and you give them what you told them you would, everybodys a winner, no disputes, no problems. The bookseller practiced bad customer service by not responding to the queries about the shipping charges quickly. Had the orders been a week apart, the customer may not have placed the 2nd order out of disgust with the 1st = lost sale = bad business. In a niche market, especially with todays economics, nobody can really afford to lose a repeat customer over something as easily resolved as shipping charges.

Diggem'

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
There's an estimated 100,000 unresolved complaints about Paypal. Buyers cheating sellers-falsely claiming item not received or broken, so payment cancelled. Also, I haven't read how but some sellers cheat buyers using Paypal (I'm not referring to overcharges on shipping, as that can be done without Paypal). There are websites about this, just type in Paypal complaints, Paypal seller complaints, Paypal buyer complaints.

eBay isn't the only site where sellers have to pay the site a % when they sell. If they sell real cheap, they pay less. That encourages overcharging on shipping. Even if a business has their own site, they can probably inflate shipping charges & get away with it. Many refuse to say which shipping service they use or the weight of the package, so the buyer may have no way of knowing if they're being overcharged.

But I agree that sending a slower way than what you paid for has to be considered cheating, unless a genuine error that they take care of. HH, George (MN)

S

stefen

In fact, I just filed a complaint to Paypal today against an Ebay Seller who did not ship a coin purchased several weeks ago.

It was simple, I worked my way through the "Resolution" process and reversed the payment within 5 minutes.

In addition, I gave the seller a happy-face for his exemplary service.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
stefen,
Did you get the charge taken off your credit card?

I am interested in this whole thing as I am trying to start a business
and I don't want to be burned or burn my customers.

I am seeing bad things about every way to do this.

Safest way looks like having a storefront operation, accept cash only, and have armed guards
to sell ice cream on a hot day.

Good grief!

Maybe I should turn to larceny and get shelter and food for free. LOL

Grey

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Santa's Bossy Feline Elf said:
It's a bait n' switch.

They stole from you.

Yes, I agree, "they" being the book seller. I think PayPal only insures the actual item, not the shipping of it.
I think the same. I don't think I've read that paypal insures the shipping, but only the item ordered. I also used them quite a bit and never had any problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread