Excalibur Cable Management

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious as to how everyone handles all the excess cable leading to the coil. I understand letting it flop around especially at the base of the shaft causes falling and excess chatter. Iā€™ve seen it held with electrical tape to the shaft. But Iā€™m curious if anyone uses any other methods they like better, maybe tightly coiled around a piece of PVC that slides over the shaft ? I think Iā€™ve also seen something like a tube sock which holds the cable to the shaft.

What is your method of dealing with all the excess cable ? Thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mount the controls, use tie wrap inside air hose to secure the cable to the shaft just behind the controls, then let the coil hand free and start spining the shaft so the cable winds around the shaft like a fishing reel, letting the coil hang allows it to spin and keep the kinks out of the cable, once you have rolled up enough cable use another cable tie inside air hose to secure the cable to the shaft again.

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure, do you a picture of that ? My mind is blanking on the reference to the air hose ? Sorry......but it does sound like the information Iā€™m looking for.....thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure, do you a picture of that ? My mind is blanking on the reference to the air hose ? Sorry......but it does sound like the information Iā€™m looking for.....thanks.

Sorry, the air hose is the small hose used on aquarium air pump, you don't want to put tie wraps directly on the cable, if they are tight over time they cut into the insulation. You cut the hose so it wraps around shaft and cable but leave about 3/8" gap so it can be tighten, make sure the hose covers the cable and then tighten it.

Excal Wrap.jpg

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K., got it.........you thread the tie wrap thru the aquarium air hose to act as a cushion when wrapping around cable and tightening to shaft. EXCELLENT !!

BTW, what shaft is that that you're using ? And the handle...............do you have Pinpoint Mod installed ? Thanks again !!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K., got it.........you thread the tie wrap thru the aquarium air hose to act as a cushion when wrapping around cable and tightening to shaft. EXCELLENT !!

BTW, what shaft is that that you're using ? And the handle...............do you have Pinpoint Mod installed ? Thanks again !!

Yes detector has the pp mod, it is a home made aluminum straight shaft and the handle is a bike handle, cable coming out of the handle is the pp mod.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Excal warranty is now out. I made a straight shaft and have used for several months, much better than the "S". Any other mods I should consider?

Thx

steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pin point mod to the handle is a must with me. I also like a BIG coil for our huge beaches.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pin point mod to the handle is a must with me. I also like a BIG coil for our huge beaches.

Yep, think the pinpoint mod is a good idea. Would like to find a straight grip like Treasure Hunters, the only one I could find locally was at Wally World and it has the slight curve at the top, don't have a way to heat and bend.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Anderson and Plugger to see if they will sell just a handle. I got their whole straight shaft setup (I like the Plugger carbon fiber one best) and it comes with a handle.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Anderson and Plugger to see if they will sell just a handle. I got their whole straight shaft setup (I like the Plugger carbon fiber one best) and it comes with a handle.

Thx Cuda, will check. Having worked on airplanes including wiring for years I think I can handle the pin point mod myself if I have an outline of the process. Probably on youtube?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
A little out of date (Feb 2011) but you will get the idea. Still one of the best Mods, beside the strait shaft I would say.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the push button type switch myself, rather than the toggle type. The ones I have are VERY similar to the ones on the end of those little LED flashlights you can get for free at Harbor Freight.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to coil up my diving excal's excess cable tightly around shaft and tape to stay put. Recently started to just do a few loose wraps around the main housing, then velcro between knobs, making it look more like a figure 8. Traps less sand, less sand grinding on cable and shaft, no more set-in curly-Q'd cable (pain if switching to wading set up with same machine). Whatever works, only picture i could find...

EJWczQB.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread