Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does go deeper, pinpointing is simple if you use the "Minelab wiggle", When you get a target if you pin point and sweep the coil slowly as you pull coil towards you foot slowly, when tone disappears it will be just off the toe of the detector, same way if you push the coil away from your feet, when tone disappears it will be just off the heel when tone disappears. Pinpoint in the center.

With my WOT coil in all metal I can hit targets over 20 inches, on the stock coil I can hit 16-18 inches in all metal. I always hint in all metal then switch to desc when i get a target as Excal is deeper in all metal than in desc mode. Many times when I get target and switch to desc it will not see target, you have to remove some sand until you can hear the target because it is deeper in all metal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does go deeper, pinpointing is simple if you use the "Minelab wiggle", When you get a target if you pin point and sweep the coil slowly as you pull coil towards you foot slowly, when tone disappears it will be just off the toe of the detector, same way if you push the coil away from your feet, when tone disappears it will be just off the heel when tone disappears. Pinpoint in the center.

With my WOT coil in all metal I can hit targets over 20 inches, on the stock coil I can hit 16-18 inches in all metal. I always hint in all metal then switch to desc when i get a target as Excal is deeper in all metal than in desc mode. Many times when I get target and switch to desc it will not see target, you have to remove some sand until you can hear the target because it is deeper in all metal.

X2. You might also take a look at the 15" NEL Attack coil. I have and use both, but, I like the NEL a little better. It's slightly bigger, a bit less chatty, goes just as deep, seems to center pin point better, and is cheaper.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop using NEL coils, too many bad ones, especially the NEL Attack coil.I had one go bad and 2 friends had theirs go bad.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I trust TH, always have, always will. He ain't gonna give you bad info.

I'm still running the stock coil, but I have been considering other coils - but those tend to mean a spliced coupling to attach to the Excal. There's plenty good info on TNet about how to do that. Check OBN's posts about that, and of course over the years TH has talked about it as well.

A serious deal about splicing a coil cord, NOT something to do if you have doubts you can do it safely for your Excal. Talk to OBN and certainly listen to TH's advice.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop using NEL coils, too many bad ones, especially the NEL Attack coil.I had one go bad and 2 friends had theirs go bad.

I got the NEL Attack back when Coiltek was having problems with their newly designed WOT. I had a bad WOT (still under warranty) and there wasn't a replacement they could send me any time soon. Not wanting to have the Excal out of commission, I got the NEL. It's been working great ever since. I finally got the replacement WOT several months later, and installed it on another Excal. In comparing the two, I still like the NEL better for the reasons I stated. Nothing wrong with either one assuming they're not faulty. I would assume that if there was a problem with any coil that the manufacturer would remedy the problem and come up with a new and improved model.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that matters is that your coil is working properly.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for the responses everyone. There will probably be a WOT on my Excal II for this coming season if winter ever leaves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread