Minelab Excaliber 1000 question

May 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this detector about 7 years ago but never had the opportunity to use it till now. I have replaced the batteries with new. Works great in the wet sand but I do not understand one response from the machine. What does it mean when the detector goes completely quiet over a spot. Move away from the spot you can hear the buzz again. Back on the spot completely quiet. I haven't seen this in any of the videos I have watched. Thanks for any help.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are hearing the "null" which is when the Excal goes over iron targets. This is the way this particular machine differentiates between ferrous and non-ferrous targets. You can download the manual for your machine free from the Minelab website, it will explain a lot for you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it on Pin Point while hunting. You'll hear everything and get much better depth. Then switch it to Discrimination to test for iron. If you get a dead null, iron.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to learn a new detector is to go to the beach, put the machine in all metal and dig everything. You'll learn a lot quicker what is a good target and what isn't.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Metal mode tells you a lot

It detects to a deeper depth than Discriminate mode, so it tells you there is a target whereas the Discriminate mode may miss it.

Its crisper tone will help you pinpoint the target before digging especially if you have a larger than stock coil.

If you have the pin point mod done to your thumb position you can more easily switch between modes to determine whether its ferrous or non ferrous than switch back to pin point to again to reverify its location before you dig.

If you lose the target when you switch to discriminate mode you know it is a little deeper than the discriminate mode can reach. So you take one scoop and recheck the hole, now the discriminate mode should hear it because it's just a matter of a few inches in depth between the modes.

An experienced hunter does this all intuitively and it makes you a very efficient hunter.

So it tells you SOMETHING!

See attached:

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 134

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot on, I always hunt in reverse discrimination with my excals.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every non-ferrous signal? YES. Hunt in all metal. When you get a signal, switch to discrimination. If you still have a good signal or no signal, dig it. If it nulls out, don't, unless you're relic hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every non-ferrous signal? YES. Hunt in all metal. When you get a signal, switch to discrimination. If you still have a good signal or no signal, dig it. If it nulls out, don't, unless you're relic hunting.

Correct, excal much deeper in all metal, I always hunt in all metal then check desc. With the remote switch on hand grip it is very easy to do.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoneshirt, a lot of users hunt in reverse discrimination with Excal. Then they switch over to discriminate once they hear an all metal target. If it nulls in discriminate, they don't have to dig the iron.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions