Anyone use the Excal as a land detector too?

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I when I got into this hobby, I really wanted a single detector that I could use on both land and in the water up to my chest. After research and recommendations, I got the Equinox 800 this past Feb. I do love the Nox, but seeing the differences of the excal in water I must say, that it seems so much more appropriate for water hunting (salt water up to my chest)...not to mention my Nox finally died on me this week due to the ole water ingress. Yes, I'm getting it replaced, but I was really wondering how the Excal would be on land?

Being VLF (BBS) I figured the Excal would be good on land...at least better than a PI unit...however I haven't seen anyone that uses one on land as a primary detector. I figured there's a real reason for that, but man it would be nice to sell the Nox and use the Excal as my sole detector.

So with all that said, does anyone here use an Excal as their sole land and water detector? What would I lose on land that that Nox does better? Obviously there is no VDI on the Excal...not sure how I'd feel about that but I'd love the opinions of the vets here.

Thanks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal works on land, the biggest draw back is excal is very heavy to use on land.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Land" is a bit vague IMO. What type of land hunting are you talking about? Some areas where you need to cut a small plug and want to know the depth of the target, The Excal isn't the machine I would want to use, but, I probably would if it was my only choice. Without a display and I.D. numbering system, an Excal would be a pain to use in a park or other venue with lots of metal trash. At the beach, it's no bid deal, just scoop and go, but, I'd much rather have the Nox for park hunting, so, I can be a lot more selective on what I dig.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my excal for land for about a year in parks before buying a dedicated land machine. It is heavy for land but works. If you can afford a dedicated land machine that is the way to go.

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use my Excalibur on land & water
works just like a sovereign
i have mine on a straight shaft weights not to bad
love my Excalibur :headbang:

john67

Mar 31, 2017
CONNEAUT LAKE PA
Detector(s) used
V3I, DEUS, E TRAC, XTERRA 705, AT PRO, CZ3D, TEJON, VAQUERO, F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i took my excal out in a park and set the discrim just below max. the first 7 out of 10 targets were coins.one was a 1900 barber dime.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is a top notch land machine, just going to take a long time to get use to interpreting the variable tone information. It is, after all, a sovereign series machine in a waterproof packaging and the Sov is still one of the very best land detectors. I use my Excal in the park all the time, on a longer straight shaft so it is balanced and you can swing it all day with no problem. I often prefer to use it over my Equinox 800 when I'm heading to the park just in search of silver and/or jewelry, does a much better job then the Equinox in terms of actual target information because of the Excal's true variable tone. The Equinox tends to scatter silver jewelry items all over the scale and it also tends to classify silver dimes and clad dimes the same, this same thing being true of silver quarters and clad quarters. I have much better target information on the Excal then the Equinox even without the aid of VDI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread