All Treasure Hunting
dog food theme dives suck >:(

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:( Marc, I agree! Applebees is Overpriced & Overcooked!

Halfway Decent Steak (for F.F. Chain) is Romano's Macaroni Grill!

Joe

S

stefen

I agree with the Baron, most all chain themed restaurants suck.

One exception is MiMi's...their personnel regardless of level are schooled for 1 week...and if they are upward mobile, they recieve another week of schooling for the new position.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they use Rid-X to tenderize their steaks.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
applebys does suck! my x band mates liked to go there before band rehersal, and i can honestly say i hated everything on thier menu.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Gotta agree -- especially, don't get the "all you can eat ribs" special when they do have it. They brought them out to me two at a time, and didn't start cooking the next two until I asked for them. Took for-freakin'-ever to get just six of them, and they have so little meat on them! I got fed up before I felt well fed! Other places with such a special going will have the ribs ready to go out much quicker, possibly by having them "almost fully cooked" during the dinner hour.

I guess "all you can eat" means "we will tell you how many is all."

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
Applebees is good during the first week of a new store opening. this is because they have traveling chefs who cook at openings and teach newbies the roaps. notice after that week it starts going down fast! another place thats over priced and not good is outback. everytime we go out to dinner at a chain rest. except olive garden. we decided it would be better to just stay home and cook. of course with all of the recipes on this site who needs a resturant?? LOL

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
applebees for steak?thats like wanting a great burger and going to mcdonalds

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
KGCnewbieseeker said:
Applebees is good during the first week of a new store opening. this is because they have traveling chefs who cook at openings and teach newbies the roaps. notice after that week it starts going down fast! another place thats over priced and not good is outback. everytime we go out to dinner at a chain rest. except olive garden. we decided it would be better to just stay home and cook. of course with all of the recipes on this site who needs a resturant?? LOL

Actually, the Outback by me is quite good -- never had a bad meal there. Steaks are always cooked perfectly, quite tasty, portions are as one would expect, and the service is almost always great.

Now Olive Garden, well, we've never had any luck there. Either portions are too small or the food just doesn't taste right. We've decided to avoid it in the future (as we have with Applebee's.)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Applebees I go to is great for salads and side dishes but not for a main course meal. Go to a steak house specializing in steaks if you want a good piece of meat. Sirloin is a cheap cut of meat to begin with. The worse steak I ever got was in San Diego at a very exclusive restaurant. It was about the size of a hockey puck and just about as tasty. I asked for the biggest steak on the menu too! I asked the waiter where the rest of mysteak was and he said something to the effect that they didn't eat much lean meat around there and I found that to be true! Monty

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outback,always had good food there,plus those tall fosters,and those steak knives(i've got about 50-60) ;)

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I was once led, or rather misled, to a mercifully little-known "steakhouse" called Champ's something-or-other. After discovering that it was housed in a couple of L-joined double-wides and allowing myself to be dragged in anyway, I definitely got what I deserved, and could only console myself with the thought that at least the poor horse had obviously lived a long, long time before joining us for dinner.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Monty said:
The Applebees I go to is great for salads and side dishes but not for a main course meal. Go to a steak house specializing in steaks if you want a good piece of meat. Sirloin is a cheap cut of meat to begin with. The worse steak I ever got was in San Diego at a very exclusive restaurant. It was about the size of a hockey puck and just about as tasty. I asked for the biggest steak on the menu too! I asked the waiter where the rest of mysteak was and he said something to the effect that they didn't eat much lean meat around there and I found that to be true! Monty

Monty -- what was that restaurant? I live in San Diego, and want to know where to avoid! Oh, and it isn't true -- Sandy Eggans eat LOTS of lean meat!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't remember the name of the restaurant it was about six years ago . It was right downtown near the famous hotel with the big gaudy fountain out front. Monty

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
I was once led, or rather misled, to a mercifully little-known "steakhouse" called Champ's something-or-other. After discovering that it was housed in a couple of L-joined double-wides and allowing myself to be dragged in anyway, I definitely got what I deserved, and could only console myself with the thought that at least the poor horse had obviously lived a long, long time before joining us for dinner.
i went to a place like that once good thing i didnt pay ;D

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Monty said:
Don't remember the name of the restaurant it was about six years ago . It was right downtown near the famous hotel with the big gaudy fountain out front. Monty

'Fraid that doesn't help -- we've got lots of hotels downtown with big, gaudy fountains! And there are LOTS of eateries downtown these days -- most of which cater to the tourist or party trades and care more about high-priced drinks than quality of food. I tend to avoid them anyway. (Of course, it's still a big improvement. That area of downtown used to be our "skid row" with sleazy dives and "sailor bars." And it was the center of the low-quality "adult" businesses. And Horton Plaza was nicknamed "Horny" plaza, that is, if you're a guy that likes sleazy guys.) (There's a better part of town for better quality gay life styles, anyway.)

Next time you are here, though, I suggest Kansas City Barbecue, also right by a hotel with a big gaudy fountain, at K Street and Harbor Drive. (Yes, the place showin in "Top Gun".) The food is great there, even with a bit of a wait. Oh, and going uptown -- avoid Mr. A's. It has a reputation of being one of the finest, most expensive restaurants in town, but my wife used to work there when she was younger. I won't go into details, as I don't want to be sued for libel, but take my word -- it isn't someplace you would want preparing food for you, based on "things in the kitchen."

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
mrs.oroblanco said:
Our local Lonestar Steakhouse was absolutely great - great steaks, great shrimp. Don't know if they are all like that, though.

I guess I worked with the wrong people - The crew I worked with LOVED Applebees, and used to go there every Thursday. I went a couple times and just could not find enough food that I liked to be worth the money I spent, so I stopped going.

I'm glad to hear it isn't just me!!!!

we have a lonestar steak house here in delaware, and it is excellent. they know how to cook a steak!

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Im sorry peoples but the Applebees near my house has good food and the bar is assume. The Lonestar Steak house has good food also, my wife does not like the Outback as she does not like how they do there steaks. I can honestly say that I dont judge a steak house by how they make there steaks or how they taste. When I want a good steak the way I like it and how I want it to taste, well I go out on my back porch and cook my own. But before I do I prepare my meat.
I do what I call forking my meat. I of course go to the Meat market and buy the steaks of my choice. Then I put them on the cutting board and hold one end with one fork and in the other hand I hold a another fork.
I fork the steak on both sides completly. Little fork holes through out the steak. Then I soak them in Yoshidas Teriyaki. Then grill them on the bar-B-Q. The amount of time I leave them in the sauce does not have to be very long as the steak soaks the sauce up very well. I find if I leave the steak soaking for a long period they come out to sweat tasting. The steaks do come out tender melt in your mouth taste good yes.
I do put a cloth over the top of the fork I'm forking with, if Im doing a lot of steak or not, my hand gets sore where the fork meets my palm. They can also be forked when half frozen, it seems to work out better but not a must.
As for Baby Back spare ribbs, I must break ever rule in the book when I do those. I cut them in portions that one would want to eat, put them in a large pot and dump a whole bottle of bar-B-Q sauce in the water. I bring them to a boil and boil them gently untill they just start to receed off the bone. I then remove them from the pot and get a large bowl of Bar-B-Q sauce and go to my back porch and cook them on the grill. I dip them in the sauce at first then brush it on there after,or dip them in again.They come out falling off the bone tender and the grill adds the BQ taste.
So when I go out to eat, I don't judge the steak or ribbs unless it is just really really bad. When I want it done and done right,,I do it my self. I also make a pretty mean Mashed Potato also. I get the sauce from SAMs club and sometimes my steaks there also. They have good steaks most the time. And yes im sorry I parr-boil my chicken the same way.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions