So does anyone like grilling?

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do and have used a Weber kettle charcoal grill for the past 6 or 7 years.
weber+kettle.jpg

Today I am trying out the new grill. It's a Masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker/grill/charcoal or propane...

masterbuilt_7in1_smoker.jpg

So far so good...ate some chicken breasts off of it...a few ears of corn...but the ribs are still on there. They will be the true test imo. The Weber can only hold heat for about an hour and a half...I need at the very least two hours to make good ribs with some smoke.

(I'm using apple wood chips today)

So do you grill? Charcoal or propane? Ever try smoking meat? What flavor chips do you like?

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John it looks like a great grill, I use a small gas grill to cook out with the one with the small tanks seems like I can control the heat well with it and it last awhile on a take, now I'm hungry!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Charcoal, always.

Have not used my smoker for some time. I use any king of fruit wood that is available. I have been thinking about smoking some pork lately. My smoker is electric Brinkmann.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE JUMBO SHRIMP AND BONELESS CHICKEN ON THE GRILL :thumb_up:

OP
OP
J

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm entering into a bbq contest (Dad Fest) today.

Since we have to use their open face grills...I did the 2 hours at 250 degrees pre-bake in a oven routine so that I just need
to toss them onto the grill for 20 minutes. I am going to try and rig a foil tent so I can get a bit of smoke from my apple chips
in there.

Wish me luck! :)

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been grilling and smoking ALOT this spring. Port Ribs in particular.

I have a small weber that does a good job grilling. and a propane when I don't want to fuss with coals. I do not do ribs on the grill ( unless, I am lazy - I'll do an hour 15 in the oven, and them move to grill to finish)

A smoker - charcoal - with a water reservoir. Looks almost like yours, but no propane. Using apple wood pieces I split from a neighbors apple tree. Applewood is the best for Pork, I think. Alder for fish.

Just my 2 cents. I think the water reservoir helps keep the heat even, plus you throw in your onion skins, celery, and a carrot in that water for added favor. Also, you need to make sure you water doesn't go dry. Check it when you reload the soaked chips.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you want really tasty ribs on their own, just marinade them in 7-Up overnight. Then cook as you usually do :icon_thumleft:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I smoke turkey,beef ribs,pork ribs,pork rib roast,and chicken on a 3 tied modified Weber charcoal smoker.
Dry rub the beef and pork ribs,and pork rib roast the day before with spices.I mix my own.
Place the pork ribs on the rack closest to the water pan.
Beef ribs on the center rack.
Pork roast and chicken on the top rack.
I soak mesquite blocks over night,but start with a charcoal bed.When the coals are going good,I add the soaked mesquite which really gets the sweet smoke flavour of the mesquite into the meat.
Usually with this amount of meat in the smoker,it will take up to 9 hrs-and nothing is overcooked.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
If it's just hamburgers and sausage, I'll grill with Kingsford. Any larger piece of meat goes in the smoker. I use oak, minus the bark, for heat, and add 1 piece of flavor wood, to 4 pieces of oak, for taste. I smoke all meats at 225-250 degrees, and 1 hour per pound. I could probably cook it faster, but the wife would put me back to work quicker.
As far as grilling goes, I quarter an onion and throw on the coals, adds a little flavor, and cuts the taste of starter fluids, if used.

Bill

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's just hamburgers and sausage, I'll grill with Kingsford. Any larger piece of meat goes in the smoker. I use oak, minus the bark, for heat, and add 1 piece of flavor wood, to 4 pieces of oak, for taste. I smoke all meats at 225-250 degrees, and 1 hour per pound. I could probably cook it faster, but the wife would put me back to work quicker.
As far as grilling goes, I quarter an onion and throw on the coals, adds a little flavor, and cuts the taste of starter fluids, if used.

Bill

Safe yourself money, and get a charcole Chimney. Starts the coals with one piece of news paper PLUs no nasty chemical taste

S

stefen

Used to cook with charcoal only and eventually graduated to propane...still use water-soaked apple wood for that smoky flavor...

For me I fnd that propane eliminates the lighter fluid and charcoal taste...(some charcoal can really be rank and ruin an otherwise great meal)

Absolutely do not use bottled smoky flavored liquids which tend to have a kerosene aftertaste...

I guess its up to the individual taste preference of each method...its really what you like...

I prefer the beer & BBQ approach...I drink the beer while the BBQ does its thing...

Enjoy the 4th

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I with ya Stefen, charcoal has binding agents that hold it together, and the lighter fluid doesn't help, I use propane or open fire pit, but when I smoke the meat I like pecan wood gives it a sweet flavor, I will have to try applewood, sounds great, AC

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love to grill and especially loved smoked ribs on our smoker.We use beer,whole lemons,hot sauce,whole heads of garlic, and applewood chips in addition to the water in the bottom of the smoker.Good eatin'!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just smoked 9 LBS of pork back ribs.

Applewood with the coals - a a pan of water with onion skins, and carrot. No lemons, or garlic in the water - next time!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
I just smoked 9 LBS of pork back ribs.

Applewood with the coals - a a pan of water with onion skins, and carrot. No lemons, or garlic in the water - next time!

Beer butt chicken is also good with lemon and garlic in the beer can.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time you do any smoking or BBQing try using some sugar maple.One of the best steaks i ever had i grilled using sugar maple.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red James cash said:
Next time you do any smoking or BBQing try using some sugar maple.One of the best steaks i ever had i grilled using sugar maple.

Sounds good.

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 webbers and a kamado, if you guys youtube you can search my channel "junpower010" I have some BBQ videos up there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres nothing left of my grille its turned to ashes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread