Lets give it up for Jack-in-the Box Tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Let's give it up for Jack-in-the Box Tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the greatest mysteries of the universe is how they can make something so disgusting-looking as a Jack-in-the-Box taco so addictive. Soggy, chewy shell that sticks to the wrapper.... red grease oozing out of each end while you eat it..... limp, slimy lettuce.... and that semi-solid wad of yellow goo that they call cheese...... Oh man, I'm hungry!!! gotta go get a sack of them!

PS: NEVER, EVER open one up and look inside, you'll likely lose your appetite and what lunch you already consumed!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Let's give it up for Jack-in-the Box Tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!

You poor soul,Jack in the Box has to have the worst tasting and worst looking Tacos in all of tha fast food dives,check out your local roach-coaches they usually have better tasting and looking food.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter

I heard good things of the burgers when i was down that way ...i was sorry to be so full of bbq not to get a JITB meal before i hit the I95..next time maybe..dunno , between fillin up on sausage gravy biscuit breakfasts and southern bbqs......just didnt have room for a JITB even though it was on my list of things to do.

NorthWind

Jun 21, 2006

Yeah, I miss 'em, too. I grew up "down there" and am now displaced. So, I've found a recipe that I can use to make them at home, and eliminate the craving for a while.

Jack-in-the-Box Tacos

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup refried beans
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 cup mild taco sauce ( Ortega or Pico Pica brand or any smooth taco sauce, no chunks of tomato and stuff)
12 soft corn tortillas ( try to use thin ones and warm them up before using so they don't crack when you fold them)
3 cups cooking oil, crisco oil will give the tacos a taste closest to the original
6 slices American cheese
1 head finely chopped lettuce

Directions
Slowly brown the ground beef over low heat, using a wooden spoon to chop and smoosh the meat, keep it very fine and smooth.
When the beef is brown, drain the fat.

Add the refried beans and use the wooden spoon to smash the whole beans into the mixture, creating a smooth texture. I use the food processor.

Add the salt, chili powder, and 2 tablespoons of the taco sauce to the mixture; remove from the heat.

In another skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot (test with a small piece of tortilla, it should bubble when dropped into the oil).

Heat a tortilla in a skillet to soften it, then spread 1/12 of the beef mixture on the center of each corn tortilla.

Fold the tortillas over and press so that the beef filling acts as an adhesive and holds the sides together.

Drop each taco into the pan of hot oil and fry on both sides until crispy.

When cooked, remove the tacos from the oil and place them on a rack or some paper towels until they are a little cooler.

Pry open each taco slightly; add 1/2 slice of American cheese (cut diagonally) and some lettuce; top with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the remaining taco sauce.

Badger 5

Mar 7, 2011
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab

I remember those tacos from the 70s, I don't think they changed a thing :icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Badger 5 said:
I remember those tacos from the 70s, I don't think they changed a thing :icon_thumleft:

You are correct :thumbsup: As a matter of fact, they are still using some of the ingredients from the 70's too :laughing9:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didn't know they were still around. I haven't seen a Jack-in-the-Box since I left Maryland 30 years ago. You used to order right from the jack in the box at the drive thru, similar to the one on in this photo-

drivethroughJack.gif

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I've seen them once in NYC, but never ate there.. They had a very short life span in NY anyway, anywhere from 1-2 years before they packed up and left. I guess they are still big in Southwest regions :dontknow:

S

stefen

Several just closed in Orange County....in fact, one directly across from the Duck pond / Angel stadium

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I order the 2 for 99c tacos here in California, always without hot sauce, then you know they make them fresh, add the packets into them. They used to put tomatoes into them for free.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha.Those things are good, but tear my stomach up....But I used to Live off .99 cent Breakfast Jacks..all day long

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only thing I've had from Jack In The Box was their tacos and they are good,I cheesy and greasy and make for fine road food because they don't fall apart because they're glued together with cheese!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish we still had JitB here in Illinois. 😞 LOVED the tacos! Would buy sacks full...as addictive as Sliders from WC. 😁 A few of the BKs around here offer a kinda close version...but a little too crunchy.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
holy crap is this an old thread, i saw this and thought to myself its been 42 years plus since i ate one. and even when i ate them it was likely at 2am when i was inebriated and did'nt have much taste anyway let alone look inside (yikes)good enough to fill a hollow leg though. and at least i can eat a slider at 9am or 9pm and a large vanilla shake yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! by the way it took guts, real guts to open one up and look inside man ! i commend you ! thats what this forum is all about ? the real tough guys ? not me though i'm a wimpy little snowflake.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Several just closed in Orange County....in fact, one directly across from the Duck pond / Angel stadium

a road trip for jib tacos ? i dont think so ? if i got as drunk as i used to ? probably !

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
When I order the 2 for 99c tacos here in California, always without hot sauce, then you know they make them fresh, add the packets into them. They used to put tomatoes into them for free.

they would put bomaters in there for free ? i was'nt to into bomaters then but i am now. man i missed out !

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize this thread is over 10-years old, but in 1972, my brother and I would steal our Mother's Buick Special at 3am, drive down to JITB, and get tacos and milk shakes at the drive through - YUMMY!:laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

They look like they’re from the seventies but taste oh so good.
Next time try the Ultimate Cheeseburger. Yum! I can only eat two a year but I order two tacos with it.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
I realize this thread is over 10-years old, but in 1972, my brother and I would steal our Mother's Buick Special at 3am, drive down to JITB, and get tacos and milk shakes at the drive through - YUMMY!:laughing7:
i used to have a 65' wildcat with a 460 wish i still had it ? it was like riding on a cloud !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread