43.6 KB · Views: 1,840

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with the bradshaws but plan on going up there for a couple days soon.....Can you give me an idea of where this Trails End Mill is located?
Would like to try some panning there, looks like you did well
Thanks

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
T.Parker:
If you'll go over to The Wide World of Maps in Phoenix (West Ind Sch Rd)
And Tell them what you are looking for
IE:
Where it is located, "Bradshaw Mnts", etc
They'll beable to come up with a topo map for you!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get really nice maps printed at Pro Mack too. Dan has this killer software that allows you to do some neat customizing of the maps. They're only $10 and print on some neat plastic/vinyl type of paper. He can print maps of any area you want too, just so you know the quad name.

http://www.promacktreasurehunting.com/

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbild said:
T.Parker:
If you'll go over to The Wide World of Maps in Phoenix (West Ind Sch Rd)
And Tell them what you are looking for
IE:
Where it is located, "Bradshaw Mnts", etc
They'll beable to come up with a topo map for you!

Thank you for the info cptbild.......
Blackfoot PM me and gave me the direction's, First time i saw his post he mis-typed and left off the "k" and called it "MILL" creek so thats why i couldn't locate it !! He set me straight.
Since then i have invested in a GPS unit with world topo maps

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
T.Parker:
With a topo Map, you really don't have a need for a GPS
A GPS will just show you WHERE YOU ARE, within 100 yds or so
And!
Yes!
I do own a few (3) .
But!
I don't use them to find or to get me somewhere!
For that I use the Topo Maps

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil
I have a Garmin Handheld.....Works perfect as i can layout my trek ahead of time at home on my puter big screen,then when im out i just type in my destination and it shows me the path to get there. Nice thing about it i can mark points of interest." rock carving, mines" things i may want to investigate at a later time............. Also i can scan the whole map i have loaded to look at details and place names etc. And at the end of the day i dont have to figure out how to Fold it up.....lol When i get back to my puter i put the coords in of things i have photographed, load the pics in and i have a personal library of my trips !!!!!!! Your a serious TH'er.....im more of an explorer that just like to see things and do a little gold digging on the side.
Tim

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Forget Wide world of maps. they're prices are way too high. Depending on where you live you can visit the Bureau of Land Management office. The office downtown on Central and Wash. can make you a custom map for only 10 bucks. Talk with a guy named Adam and he can make you a map that is a ten by ten mile radius using the latest mapping details. They also sell $4.00 30X60 Mile maps that cover the state. You can actually get the "Bradshaw" map and then go from there.

Give a call at 602.417.9300 and ask for Adam. or go down there

1 North Central
Suite 800
Phoenix, AZ 85004

There is also a Phoenix office located on 7th and Deer Valley. But they only sell the $4.00 Maps.

Good Luck and HH.

Fishstank

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fishstank said:
Give a call at 602.417.9300 and ask for Adam. or go down there

1 North Central
Suite 800
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Fishstank

It's in the Phelps Dodge building. Always get a kick outta that :)

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
T.Parker:
I hate to use the word "Explorer" ::)
But!
That's Just what we do! :)
Doc & I will be, spelunking, caving, into mines, caverns, up & down canyons & mnts
Across deserts, checking out mineral deposits, photographing the "Trip" & the "unusual" , ETC!
But!
WE Sure like to find THAT YELLOW METAL! when we can ! :tongue3:
Actually, this all fits to gather...
Also, when
We're in the mnts/desert, we see something of interest, we go look!
Be it a 'fossil", or a rock formation...Indian/Spanish drawings, you name it!
We check it out,
It would be senseless :icon_scratch: to be out there and just walk past things, because they weren't on our list,
Of things "to do!" :tard:
I am particularly interested in some large cavern systems over in Ca.
And!
One right on the top of the Caballo Mnts in NM!
& One in "Dog Canyon" north of Alamogordo, NM
Both ARE HUGH !
No telling how deep ???
Or, How long
Also!
I know of a second entrance into Doc Noss's Victorio Peak that's off The White Sands
It's really LONG! :P

TOO!
We are in contact with a Documentary Film Team,
that's talking about coming along on/to a couple of the sites
One in particular...
It's a cave, in Az., with a Mummified Prehistoric Indian and Mnt Lion in it! (& has relics)
So!
AS you can see, "we" like to do it all "! :thumbsup:
AND!
Best of all!
We're not limited by time or finances!
Providing that "Bugs (125lb) & Aragon" (100 lb) don't eat us out of food & water! :tongue3:

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
T.Parker:
But!

I say Explorer cause i dont have the discipline to do the necessary research to be a real treasure hunter......i just pack up and head out to what ever looks tempting!!!
I was born in Alamogordo.....Apache Res is north of there going up the mountain to Ruidoso, have done a little turquoise mining on there land when i was a young pup, Didnt know there were Caves north of Alamo in the hills but then again i spent most of my time east of Ruidoso.
My dad worked for the Forest Service and had keys to alot of the caves and burial grounds,archaeological sites "Story's i wont post here" but there are cave's between Lincoln and Capitan that i have been in...story's i heard was they pulled out canoe's and other Indian artifacts........They say the cavern system could possibly run all the way to Carlsbad.
Got some good story's of things i have found while growing up there.

"One in particular...
It's a cave, in Az., with a Mummified Prehistoric Indian and Mnt Lion in it! (& has relics) "
WOW....Now thats what im talking about.......Sounds like a damn good time !!!! :thumbsup:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.Parker said:
cptbil said:
T.Parker:
But!

I say Explorer cause i dont have the discipline to do the necessary research to be a real treasure hunter......i just pack up and head out to what ever looks tempting!!!
I was born in Alamogordo.....Apache Res is north of there going up the mountain to Ruidoso, have done a little turquoise mining on there land when i was a young pup, Didnt know there were Caves north of Alamo in the hills but then again i spent most of my time east of Ruidoso.
My dad worked for the Forest Service and had keys to alot of the caves and burial grounds,archaeological sites "Story's i wont post here" but there are cave's between Lincoln and Capitan that i have been in...story's i heard was they pulled out canoe's and other Indian artifacts........They say the cavern system could possibly run all the way to Carlsbad.
Got some good story's of things i have found while growing up there.

"One in particular...
It's a cave, in Az., with a Mummified Prehistoric Indian and Mnt Lion in it! (& has relics) "
WOW....Now thats what im talking about.......Sounds like a damn good time !!!! :thumbsup:

Hi T. Parker - without giving any specific details, can you give us some "condensed version" stories of things you found growing up out there? It always motivates me to get out there and look for treasures when I get to hear RL adventures.

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
Hi T. Parker - without giving any specific details, can you give us some "condensed version" stories of things you found growing up out there? It always motivates me to get out there and look for treasures when I get to hear RL adventures.

A quick run down of thing's that come to mind first off.......as this was some 30 years ago :icon_scratch:

On C-Mtn behind my house....they call it that cause of the Big C made outta rock and white washed for the town of Capitan.....There are Petrified Seashells or snail shells embedded into rocks, not large one's but they are everywhere.
On the same mtn on the east side up in some cliffs...came across a rock carving nicely done and carved very well Dated in the early 1800's, few names,and something referring to a wagon train passing through......Memory is a little sketchy as to what it was all about, never did get back there to do a rubbing on it.

Heres a Cool One.....Was out hunting for dear one time in the mtn's between Fort Stanton and Lincoln and walked up on this Grave Stone, cant remember the dudes name on it but it was something like Pvt so and so..or Corp blah blah referring to him in a calvary,dated and at the bottom of the grave marker it said "Shot by Billy the Kid" That part i remember well......i think i was in disbelief like someone was playing a joke! but it was well hidden behind trees and would be easy to miss had i not walked on the right side of these pinion trees.

Plenty of places close to town scattered with broken pottery "Lots of Pottery" and cutting tools, arrow heads,rubbing stones and hieroglyphs.

Was working putting in a vineyard east of Lincoln......Yes the guy was growing grapes......tilling up the ground down the hill from this old adobe dwelling and ripped up a indain burial site...we stopped immediately ! took a quick look at some of the shell jewelry,and remains..Then got the hell outta there...lol Dont think the guy reported it but we didnt plant that erea and left everything alone after covering it back up.

Last story then i need to get to work......was out hunting again cause thats what us backwood country folk do to Survive !!! :tard: Found a freshly dead bald eagle on the road......my dad being in the forest service knowing what to do with it picked it up and took it home and talked to who ever ,told him since it was a natural death "No crime had been committed like being shot by hunters" that he can just keep it. Word got out of the find somehow to the Apache Res. And one day all these old Indians showed up at our house unannounced, Looking Very Native American....keep in mind i was young....I was Awe Struck as it was like something out of an old John Wayne Movie, They werent wearing buck skins or feathers but they did have a commanding presence and you knew where they were from and who they are.... To make a long story short they wanted the eagle and i got the impression they werent gonna take no for an answer even though i couldnt understand what they were saying ! They ended up with the claws and all the Feathers and in trade we got alot of Hand Made Turquoise Jewelry.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the "Billy the Kid" story - that would certainly be a great historical thing to find if it turned out to be real. I take it you never went back to check it out again?

The eagle story is pretty cool too - as a kid, I can imagine what sorts of things you were wondering when the native americans "stopped by" for a visit :)

You said early on in the other post something about your father having the "keys" to caves, burial grounds and archeological sites - were you referring to actual physical keys (as in, the locations had been closed off somehow and locked?), or were you just implying that your dad knew the locations? I've often wondered how much the forest service folks know or knew about the areas they patrol - they certainly have a vested interest in hiding things like you mentioned to avoid rampant vandalism and destruction.

Great stories and thanks!

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
I like the "Billy the Kid" story - that would certainly be a great historical thing to find if it turned out to be real. I take it you never went back to check it out again?

The eagle story is pretty cool too - as a kid, I can imagine what sorts of things you were wondering when the native americans "stopped by" for a visit :)

You said early on in the other post something about your father having the "keys" to caves, burial grounds and archeological sites - were you referring to actual physical keys (as in, the locations had been closed off somehow and locked?), or were you just implying that your dad knew the locations? I've often wondered how much the forest service folks know or knew about the areas they patrol - they certainly have a vested interest in hiding things like you mentioned to avoid rampant vandalism and destruction.

Great stories and thanks!
Yeah the Apache encounter really left an impression on me....still to this day ! as sitting there listening to them in there broken english and all the hand signals that was going on to get there point across.......I was amazed at how proud and polite they were.

Yes my father had KEYS to many different places as they were all fenced off and locked......even the caves, i never did ask him why he had keys to these places i was just happy to get them and be off !

Had keys to a fire camp cabin WAY WAY up in the top of the Sierra Blanca Range "ROCKY MTN's" stocked with C-Rats, wood stove, and a pump for ground water.......it had big saw blades around the windows to keep the bears out, You could pretty much walk right up to the dear as they were not used to seeing humans or being disturbed ! and would just stand there and stare at ya.

Never went back to really check any of the things out like the grave stone or rock carvings because being as young as i was and stuck out in the middle of nowhere like that "Not knowing about whats out in the real world" i guess it was just everyday life for me and figured i would live there for ever and all this will still be here....Once i got into my upper teen years i just wanted to get the hell outta that place and never see it again :tard:
The grave stone was real for sure....as it was hidden rather well in a clump of trees and out in the middle of no where, and someone spent some money and time on the marker...

My girlfriend brings up the fact that we should go back there so i can show her some of these things........Hard place to sneak into without the whole town knowing your there......and i didnt get along with most there as i was a long haired Rocker "Hippy was what they called me"living in a Redneck town population of 200. :tongue3:

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
There has been a "Theory" put Forth !
That there is an interconnection of a cavern systems
That goes from Carlsbad west to Colossal Cave outside Tucson
But!
I can't quite see that, myself
The Mnts and valleys in that area/region are all running North - South
But!
I do know that there is a series of caves along that East - West line
AND!
One of the ONLY Rivers in the World that runs
From the South (Mexico) to The North (to & Joins The Gila River) !
A new ave
was found, just outside of Benson,Az.,
That "we" locals knew about, ::) and "turned" into a State Park
"Kitchner" or something like that! :tongue3:
And!
There's another one up in the "Cheery Cow" Mnts, :tard: SE of Ft, Bowie, Az
That has a flowing river in it !
"Crystal Cave ???
The Feds have a gate over it,
But, there's a second entrance :thumbsup:

cptbil

Bronze Member