A couple of firsts for me! Put me in the 1800s club!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of firsts for me! Put me in the 1800's club!

Hit the same house for the third time again. Its for sale and apparently just about sold. The current owner has allowed me free reign of the place. Its now or possibly never so I'm trying to seine it! During the first 2 days, about 80% of the wheaties and all 3 silver dimes came from one little area - maybe 10'x10'. Only problem is that it is ABSOLUTELY loaded with trash. Lots of pull tabs, bits of foil/aluminum (so many that I had to quit digging all the "nickel" signals except the ones that just sounded "right" and had some depth) and iron everywhere! My DFX literally sounds like a video game. When trying to pinpoint, I usually get interference from one or more signals. Today I decided to concentrate solely on that little area and dig pretty much everything. I now have enough aluminum to start a recycling plant! ;D

Now to the good stuff: I got a "funny signal". Fairly solid tone, but the VDI (although hopping around a bit) was right around 50. All of my good finds - every single one - has read at a depth of 4.5". This "bottlecap" was at 4.5" and in my 10'x10' spot so I dig. I cut a decent plug and check with the Sun Ray. I get a reading on the side, dig out a little more dirt and scoop it out with my hand. I notice a penny in the bottom of the hole. I wipe it off just enough to see its a wheatie. I rescan with the DFX and am still getting a signal. I set it down, click on the Sun Ray to scan the hole. The probe beeps before I get to the hole. Another penny in the last bit of dirt I scooped out, but it looks...different. Dirt is stuck to it more solidly than I have ever seen. (Been buried longer perhaps?). Anyway, I rub it a little more than I really want to as I just can't stand not knowing what it is. Turns out its my first 1800's coin and my first Indian Head. Its either 1860 or 1880 and fairly worn, but I'll take it! Today's take: 5 wheaties (1910-P, 1944-P, and 3 soaking in peroxide as I can't read the date), the Indian, an old kiddie ring (brass/copper I think), and 7 whole cents in clad. I'm a little disappointed in no silver and I was really expecting one of the thousands of nickel signals I skipped over on the first 2 hunts to be a buffalo (or earlier), but I have no complaints!

FYI - That Indian reads a VERY skitterish 52 VDI on my DFX. Has me wondering about all the "bottlecaps" I've skipped over the years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread