rusted tobacco tin found yesterday

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was metal detecting a box canyon yesterday & dug up a tobacco tin. ::) I almost tossed it, but then thought-"what if"?? :tongue3: Lo & behold!! A paper folded several times. Extremely fragile!! As I started to unfold it, it started to break up, but not before I saw some legible writing on it. Now-How do I carefully unfold this dried, crumbly paper to read the contents?? I stopped unfolding as soon as I saw the damage start. HELP??? :help:

Attachments

• DSCF0002c.JPG
    DSCF0002c.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF0001c.JPG
    DSCF0001c.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 694
OP
OP
1krazeepolack

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The writing appears to be in pencil. It definitely is hand written, & folded into about 2" square. As of this moment, I dare not touch it. It appears to be an old Prince Albert tin.

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Hmm. There goes my theory, thought I could save you some trouble. Some tobacco companies (Prince Albert being one of them) sometimes enclosed paper forms in their tins that the customer filled out to redeem or buy premiums. Some were made of a waxy paper that became very brittle over time.

Handwritten is a different story, sorry I am no help. One would think there was some kind of process to "soften up" document enough to open them, maybe someone else knows...

Good luck with this, keep us posted :icon_thumright:

Mr R

OP
OP
1krazeepolack

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've now added the photo's. You can visibly see the paper inside the tin. I carefully started to open it, but some bug on my shoulder hollered "STOP! FOOL"!! I stopped! I know certain process's can restore or repair brittle paper(s) but I need sound advice before pursuing this. Who knows? I could or could not be sitting on something interesting. It is extremely fragile & brittle. I have serious reservations about doing anything w/this on my own w/o proper methodology? The printing was quite legible when I 1st started to open it. How should this be stored until proper ID can be made? It was located in extremely dry desert soil. Any questions/answers would be very helpful

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I can't help you with the restoration but I want to tag along to see what happens. Do you think maybe you found an old mine claim?

HH Charlie

OP
OP
1krazeepolack

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very hard to say, Charlie. I HAVE FOUND several old mine shafts in the area in the past few day. I do recall reading in old books about miners writing their claims into an old tin, nw that you bring it up. There are @ LEAST 2 shafts here (among others) that I found recently, & will NOT enter! One has the entry appearance of being ready to cave in @ any given moment.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
from your description of the condition of the paper it will fragment if you try an unfold it. Can it be cut to the squares it is fold in??
Use of two glass plates window kind, can allow you to lay out the document as you take it apart.
One glass can cover it as such is being done.
The cost to use preservation methods on this is more likely costly to the value of the document. It is most likely an old corner marker for a mining claim as said by savant365. Was there a pile of rocks were you found it??
Good luck.

OP
OP
1krazeepolack

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was found approximately a foot deep, @ the "head" of a box canyon. Way too much fallen rock to discern it's exact location. I have just hopefully found a way to help preserve it temporarily. I placed it into a home vacuum sealing unit, but- Not before temptation got to me. I gingerly lifted one section of the folded paper w/a knife edge & read the # "7" on two different lines. I HAD to seal this thing before temptation runs rampant w/me. I'll keep posting this as I find more.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it needs to be humidified some how. I'd put it in close proximity to a cold air humidifier and see if it helped any. otherwise I'd take it to a museum and see if they had an expert to look at it. Monty

K

Kentucky Kache

Looks like Prince Albert escaped that can long ago.

I think Monty has the right idea. Take it to a professional, whether that be a museum, a university, whatever. If I had found it, temptation would probably have already destroyed it. WTG.

OP
OP
1krazeepolack

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK! For all you hieroglyphics folks out there, here's my "what is it" puzzle. Can anyone decipher more of the writing here, then I could? It definitely is a claim marker! I seem to read; 774 ft -esterly? Next row of numbers; 733 ft Easterly 3rd row of #'s ;330 ft. there also are #'s @ the very top of the paper, seemingly consisting of # 30, some X marks, & others. The self photography is the best I was able to obtain. I checked the penciled writing w/a black light, & a back light, to no avail. Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you one & all. (incidentally) I was unable to obtain any GPS readings on this site. Garmin couldn't give me a reading except for within 83 feet of the area the tin was found. If this post is in the wrong location, someone please advise. This is my 1st day posting on TNET. Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSCF0003b.JPG
    DSCF0003b.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 648
  • DSCF0004a.JPG
    DSCF0004a.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 613

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Looks like it was too far gone to get one piece anyway! A great find :icon_thumleft:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would cross post it in the Prospecting forum also.

C. Myers

Greenie
Jun 9, 2008
Oceanside, CA.
For future reference and if you can not afford to have a museum restore the papers for you, you can lightly spray it with water. Do not saturate it. As you are lightly spraying it with water, have a steam iron ready to go, on steam. Then slowly start opening the paper, gently. Spray it, steam it, open some more, etc.
I have done this with payroll papers from mining districts and old newspapers.
It works.
You just need to have patience.
And it does not matter if the item is written in pen or pencil - this process will not ruin the writing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread