Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Sep 2009
    Buckeye, Az
    13 times
    Prospecting

rusted tobacco tin found yesterday

I was metal detecting a box canyon yesterday & dug up a tobacco tin. I almost tossed it, but then thought-"what if"?? Lo & behold!! A paper folded several times. Extremely fragile!! As I started to unfold it, it started to break up, but not before I saw some legible writing on it. Now-How do I carefully unfold this dried, crumbly paper to read the contents?? I stopped unfolding as soon as I saw the damage start. HELP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002c.JPG 
Views:	612 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	325399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0001c.JPG 
Views:	623 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	325400  
    Walter R

us
    Jul 2009
    Western PA
    23 times

Re: rusted tobacco tin found yesterday

Was the paper printed or written by hand?

Was it folded to approx. the height of the tin??

Mr R
    http://theabsorbingerrand.blogspot.com/

us
    Sep 2009
    Buckeye, Az
    13 times
    Prospecting

The writing appears to be in pencil. It definitely is hand written, & folded into about 2" square. As of this moment, I dare not touch it. It appears to be an old Prince Albert tin.
    Walter R

us
    Jul 2009
    Western PA
    23 times

Hmm. There goes my theory, thought I could save you some trouble. Some tobacco companies (Prince Albert being one of them) sometimes enclosed paper forms in their tins that the customer filled out to redeem or buy premiums. Some were made of a waxy paper that became very brittle over time.

Handwritten is a different story, sorry I am no help. One would think there was some kind of process to "soften up" document enough to open them, maybe someone else knows...

Good luck with this, keep us posted

Mr R
    http://theabsorbingerrand.blogspot.com/

us
    Sep 2009
    Buckeye, Az
    13 times
    Prospecting

I've now added the photo's. You can visibly see the paper inside the tin. I carefully started to open it, but some bug on my shoulder hollered "STOP! FOOL"!! I stopped! I know certain process's can restore or repair brittle paper(s) but I need sound advice before pursuing this. Who knows? I could or could not be sitting on something interesting. It is extremely fragile & brittle. I have serious reservations about doing anything w/this on my own w/o proper methodology? The printing was quite legible when I 1st started to open it. How should this be stored until proper ID can be made? It was located in extremely dry desert soil. Any questions/answers would be very helpful
    Walter R

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I can't help you with the restoration but I want to tag along to see what happens. Do you think maybe you found an old mine claim?

HH Charlie

us
    Sep 2009
    Buckeye, Az
    13 times
    Prospecting

Very hard to say, Charlie. I HAVE FOUND several old mine shafts in the area in the past few day. I do recall reading in old books about miners writing their claims into an old tin, nw that you bring it up. There are @ LEAST 2 shafts here (among others) that I found recently, & will NOT enter! One has the entry appearance of being ready to cave in @ any given moment.
    Walter R

Charter Member

May 2005
    201 times

Agreed: very likely a claim marker, as they were often stashed in P.A. tobacco cans.

http://www.cinmaco.com/views/view1.html

Feb 2008
    32 times

from your description of the condition of the paper it will fragment if you try an unfold it. Can it be cut to the squares it is fold in??
    Use of two glass plates window kind, can allow you to lay out the document as you take it apart.
    One glass can cover it as such is being done.
    The cost to use preservation methods on this is more likely costly to the value of the document. It is most likely an old corner marker for a mining claim as said by savant365. Was there a pile of rocks were you found it??
    Good luck.

us
    Sep 2009
    Buckeye, Az
    13 times
    Prospecting

It was found approximately a foot deep, @ the "head" of a box canyon. Way too much fallen rock to discern it's exact location. I have just hopefully found a way to help preserve it temporarily. I placed it into a home vacuum sealing unit, but- Not before temptation got to me. I gingerly lifted one section of the folded paper w/a knife edge & read the # "7" on two different lines. I HAD to seal this thing before temptation runs rampant w/me. I'll keep posting this as I find more.
    Walter R

Feb 2008
    32 times

If the plastic is acidic, it may do more damage than not.

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    132 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Looks like it needs to be humidified some how. I'd put it in close proximity to a cold air humidifier and see if it helped any. otherwise I'd take it to a museum and see if they had an expert to look at it. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

Kentucky Kache

Looks like Prince Albert escaped that can long ago.

I think Monty has the right idea. Take it to a professional, whether that be a museum, a university, whatever. If I had found it, temptation would probably have already destroyed it. WTG.

us
    Sep 2007
    Sal Sagev Adaven
    E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,, GB PRO.
    48 times
    Metal Detecting

likely a claim marker
    I'll just follow you with My E-trac, Sov GT,or GoldBug Pro.

us
    Sep 2009
    Buckeye, Az
    13 times
    Prospecting

OK! For all you hieroglyphics folks out there, here's my "what is it" puzzle. Can anyone decipher more of the writing here, then I could? It definitely is a claim marker! I seem to read; 774 ft -esterly? Next row of numbers; 733 ft Easterly 3rd row of #'s ;330 ft. there also are #'s @ the very top of the paper, seemingly consisting of # 30, some X marks, & others. The self photography is the best I was able to obtain. I checked the penciled writing w/a black light, & a back light, to no avail. Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you one & all. (incidentally) I was unable to obtain any GPS readings on this site. Garmin couldn't give me a reading except for within 83 feet of the area the tin was found. If this post is in the wrong location, someone please advise. This is my 1st day posting on TNET. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003b.JPG 
Views:	579 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	325465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004a.JPG 
Views:	545 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	325466  
    Walter R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links