Massacre Canyon, California coin cache found

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
On p. 25 of A. T. Evan's Treasure Hunters' Yearbook 1970- '71 is an article by Bob Soehner entitled Treasure of Massacre Canyon. Included is a photo Captioned "Bob Soehner (left) and Larry Conway display 33 coins (on loop of detector), dated 1899 through 1935, locaed at Massacre Canyon."

Article states that "several years ago" firefighters (including Steve Maxwell) found over $200 face value in coins near a fire near an "old resort." All of the coins were dimes and quarters, dated in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Find estimated worth was $600 in 1970. No metal detector was used to find this cache!

Following that early find, arrangements were made to take metal detectors to the site to verify whether all of the cache had been recovered. Following Steve to the site of the original discovery, 33 additional coins were recovered. Dates of all ranged from 1899 to 1935; again all coins recovered with dimes and quarters. Two 1935 coins showed almost no wear.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for the link, Mackaydon! I thought someone by now might have posted an update to this lead. Didn't know about the coins from the ship though, and don't imagine these were the same, as they were U.S., not foreign.

I'm not from the area. Is Chino Valley nearby?

Nuggets4me

Jan 1, 2012
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
On p. 25 of A. T. Evan's Treasure Hunters' Yearbook 1970- '71 is an article by Bob Soehner entitled Treasure of Canyon. Included is a photo Captioned "Bob Soehner (left) and Larry Conway display 33 coins (on loop of detector), dated 1899 through 1935, locaed at Massacre Canyon."

Article states that "several years ago" firefighters (including Steve Maxwell) found over $200 face value in coins near a fire near an "old resort." All of the coins were dimes and quarters, dated in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Find estimated worth was $600 in 1970. No metal detector was used to find this cache!

Following that early find, arrangements were made to take metal detectors to the site to verify whether all of the cache had been recovered. Following Steve to the site of the original discovery, 33 additional coins were recovered. Dates of all ranged from 1899 to 1935; again all coins recovered with dimes and quarters. Two 1935 coins showed almost no wear.

I wonder exactly where this was...the "old resort" has to be reference to Soboba Hot Springs Resort. However, Massacre Canyon is relatively far from the resort as it is farther down the base of the mountain range. Unless there is another resort I'm not aware of! Hmmmm, intriguing story though! Thanks for sharing that!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nuggets4me,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
I found one site said the location of the resort was located along the San Jacinto River, a mile downstream from the Soboda Indian Reservation--in the direct of the San Jacinto Tunnel.
Don.....

Nuggets4me

Jan 1, 2012
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Nuggets4me,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
I found one site said the location of the resort was located along the San Jacinto River, a mile downstream from the Soboda Indian Reservation--in the direct of the San Jacinto Tunnel.
Don.....

Thanks! It's nice to see someone still active on here lots of old posts..lol. What is the San Jacinto Tunnel? I went on another excursion to Massacre Canyon today. Found another brick laid alcove in the mountain we had never seen before. Seems not alot of people notice it either judging by the fact that only one donkey (insert alternative name for donkey) spray painted SJ inside of it! Pics pending...if I ever find the USB cord because naturally I forgot the SD card. :BangHead: Have you ventured into the canyon before and what site did you find your info?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The San Jacinto tunnel is part of the Colorado River Aqueduct system that brings water from the Colorado River to southern California. Construction on the tunnel began about 1934 and ended in 1939. In the interim, it was determined that the extend of the flooding within the tunnel actually dropped the water table in many nearby areas that had previously been serviced by the many springs and wells. Many ranchers, farmers and resort owners found themselves without water. To me, that is why the coins found at the resort are dated up to only 1935; when the resort lost its water--and its guests.
Don....

Nuggets4me

Jan 1, 2012
Hemet/San Jacinto
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I figured out the "old resort" reference. Its the Scientology Gold Base! LOL, apparently it was acquired in 1978 by L. Ron Hubbard and his loyal followers....I have lived in the area my whole life and passed the compound many times, never knowing it was a former hot springs resort first established in 1888, and later bought by a couple by the last name Gilman in 1913, and ran clear into the late 60's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread