where to find a spanish coin close to so cal ? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: where to find a spanish coin close to so cal ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Grandpa!

Dec 2015
    On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
    153 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. The initial post was asking where to find Spanish coins in California. Well, back in 1979 I was living in Merced California, up in the San Joaquin Valley. I was using an old (but at the time... new) Bounty Hunter TR 550. I was out by the airport in an open field to the south. I got a hit and dug up an 1812 Mexican 2 Real copper coin, and an interesting pure copper bowl. (See photos) All of California was under Mexican rule at the time. You could probably find Mexican or other Spanish coins all throughout California. Click on the image for a larger view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160123_193128.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	1265460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160123_193200.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	1265461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160123_192905.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	1265462

I hope somebody is still interested in this thread!

Desert Don
    Last edited by Desert Don; Jan 28, 2016 at 10:24 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12925 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Because of the many varieties in the Morelos coinage, a book could be written on this one subject alone. (His monogram, SMo, is above the '2 R'.) The majority of his coinage was copper in the form of IOUs to be redeemed after the War of Independence. I can't speak to the authenticity of your coin, but I have become suspect to all cast copper Morelos coinage. To me, the educational (historic) value of that coin far exceeds its numismatic value.Thanks for the post.
    Don......
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

us
    Grandpa!

Dec 2015
    On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
    153 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    Because of the many varieties in the Morelos coinage, a book could be written on this one subject alone. (His monogram, SMo, is above the '2 R'.) The majority of his coinage was copper in the form of IOUs to be redeemed after the War of Independence. I can't speak to the authenticity of your coin, but I have become suspect to all cast copper Morelos coinage. To me, the educational (historic) value of that coin far exceeds its numismatic value.Thanks for the post.
    Don......
    Wow...this thread is still alive. That was quick! agree that the historic value is all it's worth. I checked a few years ago, and found that it was worth only a few dollars at best. No matter, I keep it anyway.

DD

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10065 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Don View Post
    Wow...this thread is still alive. That was quick! agree that the historic value is all it's worth. I checked a few years ago, and found that it was worth only a few dollars at best. No matter, I keep it anyway.

DD
    Don, did you know of something from Mexican era, that was going on in that area of Merced ? Or technically, some reales and coppers circulated up through the start of the Gold rush.

Coppers are hard to find in CA. Whenever reales are found here, they are mostly always silver. I have a theory that it's because back in the day, when cargo space/weight was at a premium, they would take the higher denomination coins when getting ready for permanent travel to another country. Same logic for large cents: Very few made it to CA. But many early seateds and some busts of the same era DO make it here.

Of course this doesn't fully explain your copper though: Since it's a 2-reale, and and a "fractional' copper. Great story! I wonder what was going on there at your Merced site during mexican or very-early CA times ?

stefen
    Quote Originally Posted by Vpbrian View Post
    The location I'm in does happen to be a mission area , and I've found some 1906 and 1917. I really would like to find maybe some late 1800 coins. To add to my collection that will make me very happy any thing even 1899 lol
    Unless you accidently happen upon an old coin while MD'ing, yur best alternative is by trading with a friend or buying from a coin store, ebay or the like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links