Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: where to find a spanish coin close to so cal ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2012
    on the rocks - so cal county line
    Gold bug pro / Whites coin master II
    483 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

where to find a spanish coin close to so cal ?

any where maybe in the santa susana pass , san pedro ?

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    11476 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    My impression of San Pedro is all freeways and concrete; maybe in Santa Susana Pass. A few years ago we did discuss gold being buried in the Pass; this may interest you:Santa Susana Ca Stage Robbery
    Don....

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10023 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
    any where maybe in the santa susana pass , san pedro ?
    Because you're in a metropolis big city (urban sprawl) it's going to be hard to find places that old, that are not paved over with newer things. Up where I'm at (Salinas, Ca) is more rural and farm-land/agriculture. So we're able to research out old adobe sites (1810's to 1840's ranchos, landgrant habitations, camps, etc...) that ........ to this day ..... are sometimes just in cow pastures, row-crop land, orchard land, vineyard land, etc.... And yes, we've found spanish & Mexican reales in these locations.

Even though So. CA mission lands got "diced up" into the same type land grants, all of which would have had their associated habitations, yet odds are, in the urban sprawl, all such good real-estate locations are paved over.

I'm sure there are some lurking in the high desert to the east of you somewhere

Feb 2015
    3 times
    I'm in sonoma county , nor cal. , I'm new but I've been reading a lot the past few days of the 1800 era here in Santa Rosa , rohnert park , Petaluma area, and a lot of Indian history

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10023 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vpbrian View Post
    I'm in sonoma county , nor cal. , I'm new but I've been reading a lot the past few days of the 1800 era here in Santa Rosa , rohnert park , Petaluma area, and a lot of Indian history
    Welcome VP-brian. Yes there was pre-statehood activity in your area. Hence theorectically, you might be able to research out adobe-site locations, where hopefully nothing but a cow-pasture is now. I've heard of reales being found up your way

Welcome to the forum.

Feb 2015
    3 times
    Yes and we have a very large unincorporated area with state and regional parks that have a lot of history , to Spanish , and Indians , at a large cross roads of the gold rush with several rivers like the Russian river , very close bodega bay , dating back to sir France's drake ,

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6226 times
    Let's see......... down near OC, you have to head South from where you are.

Near Trestle's, for several years a local guy found a lot Colonial Spanish Jewelry and coins. A friend told me the story, and the docent of a nearby museum verified. Seemed like a wagonspill. If you know the trail down to the beach from the parking lot by Carl's Jr, you can still see the old overgrown trail. I never spent a lot of time detecting the spot because the brush is EXTREMELY dense and there are a bunch of rattlesnakes in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trestles surfing.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	1124862

Further inland, there is a high bluff on the North and South side of the canyon. On the tops of those bluffs, I know of a lot of Colonial Spanish artifacts and old campsites that were found (the South side is actually on Camp Pendleton property).

Mike
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10023 times
    Banner Finds (4)

... , dating back to sir France's drake ,
    VP-Brian, with all due respects ....... your odds of finding something that date back to the "explorer" era, are next-to-nothing. You're thinking of the "colorful" stories of someone getting off their ship, planting a flag, but then getting back on the ship and heading back to Mexico. Sure, there was a few land-falls, naming spots along the coast, etc... But REALISTICALLY speaking: you're not going to find something fumble fingers they dropped. I mean, to find a trade item or something they dropped is a needle-in-a hay-stack improbable.

The first European toe-hold here wasn't till the missions. And then realistically, unless you could right right up next to a mission itself, there really wasn't any significant # of Europeans here till the 1810s or so. Prior to that, the ENTIRE non-indian population, in the entire state of CA, was numbered only in the 100s. But starting in the 1810s, then travel between the missions was happening, and for the first time: persons living outside the walls of the missions and presidios.

Thus unless you're hunting at a mission itself, the reales usually found in CA are ones lost in the 1820s, 30s, etc.... at adobe sites, for example. And yes those can date to the 1700s easily. I've found about 100 reales in CA over the years. Oldest was in the 1750s. But typically 1770s to the late 1840s. After mexico got ousted as a colonial power, very few reales came up after that. Some with the gold rush miners coming up from Mexico. But even those tended to be early 1850s at the newest.
    el padron likes this.

Feb 2015
    3 times
    The location I'm in does happen to be a mission area , and I've found some 1906 and 1917. I really would like to find maybe some late 1800 coins. To add to my collection that will make me very happy any thing even 1899 lol

Feb 2015
    3 times

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425005584.997578.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	1125031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425005603.622662.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	1125032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425005615.759834.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	1125033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425005627.752745.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	1125034

Went back to the trail I found that 1917 merc and found these today along with about 30 more wheats ranging from 1906-1952 , I will be back there tomorrow

Feb 2015
    3 times

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425005979.935462.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	703.7 KB 
ID:	1125039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425005997.327446.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	1125040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425006028.342522.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	711.0 KB 
ID:	1125041

I have found all of these in the last 4 days along the same trail ,, I have to be on to some thing ?

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6226 times
    I have to agree with Tom here for the most part. The spot I posted is a fairly well known place where Ships put ashore because of the freshwater creek that runs to the ocean.

If you want colonial Spanish stuff, then you are going to have to do some research and find the places that were habitated during the years you want to find.

Mike
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
    407 times
    Unreported banner: 3 (maybe 4)
    Double post
    Last edited by el padron; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM.
    Why isn't every metal detector at least water resistant? A $7 drugstore flashlight is guaranteed for life to 10 feet. If a squirrel piss*s onto the face of my sov... well.... thats another forum.

Disclaimer: Most any and all artifacts or valuables mentioned have been found on property that was originally aquired in the 1847 United States of America invasion of Mexico.

United States Veteran, Headquarters Company, Law Enforcement Activity, Ft Campbell Ky. ARMY Military Police.

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
    407 times
    Unreported banner: 3 (maybe 4)
    TMI
    Last edited by el padron; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM.
    Why isn't every metal detector at least water resistant? A $7 drugstore flashlight is guaranteed for life to 10 feet. If a squirrel piss*s onto the face of my sov... well.... thats another forum.

Disclaimer: Most any and all artifacts or valuables mentioned have been found on property that was originally aquired in the 1847 United States of America invasion of Mexico.

United States Veteran, Headquarters Company, Law Enforcement Activity, Ft Campbell Ky. ARMY Military Police.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10023 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    .... I have to be on to some thing ?
    If you're finding that many wheaties and silver coins, yes: something had to have been going on there in the past. some sort of camping or picnicking ? Congratz!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links