Where to go

Gone Panning

May 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going to the Bear River campground for years, last year it looked like a bulldozer went through the place. For all the work we have put in, there are alot of fines but nothing bigger. After searching the area like the Yuba River it's full of claims. Is there any decent places to go above the Auburn area. Our time is limited while up there searching out new areas. I only have 5 days a year up there and 2 of those are driving up and back from LA, not trying to get rich just having a little bit more fun. Anyone up there that can give a panner some help.

sierra m37

Apr 3, 2013
Maybe head a little further up 80 to Colfax and head east down to the north fork American. There is a great campground on the river there and your close to a helluva lot of old mining activity. Then farther up 80 is the town of Dutch Flat where they were doing a lot of hydraulic mining back in the day. The campground on the river at Colfax was very nice and a beautiful spot on the river. I am not a panner or miner myself, but live in Placerville about 3 miles from Marshall's gold discovery site on the south fork American. All 3 of the American rivers that spill into Folsom off the backside of Lake Tahoe on the western slope all start and run through the original gold country. The middle fork is the least travelled. Best of luck and have fun.

chris rizin

May 6, 2013
Fair Oaks CA
Detector(s) used
brand new in the box hunk of junk discriminator 11 i got for twenty bucks!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try mineral bar.. Recently found good amounts of fines, small flakes and a picker right near the campgrounds.. The area has been picked at by many for years but the area still produces. Try hiking up or down river for a while and start hitting those crevasses..

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/calif/Mineral_bar.htm

There's also an area near Washington ca. Set aside for public use and gold panning.. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

Gone Panning

May 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information any bit of direction helps. The public use areas I found was the new invention of trying to close down gold mining is Hands & Pans, what a joke it's hard enough digging with a shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread