Astonishing... Recovery of an 1839 Large Cent will happen!!!

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hobbyist.... You read the subject line right the first time... WILL

Just giving back to a hobby where the thrill never ceases. Thought it would be interesting to twist "Todays Finds" into "Tommorrows Finds" for once.

What... Where...

I have buried a Coronet Type Large Cent 1839 in G condition approx. 3-4" depth near the NE intersection Main and Broadway in downtown Long Beach, CA. The patched area is no larger than 25' x 25' , relatively trash-free and the ground is semi-soft.

(Souther California residents and visitors need only apply!)

The coin was deposited in the ground at 8:30AM PST (local time) April 2, 2007. (April fools day is over)

Be the envy of your fellow hobbyist to be the first to report finding a Large Cent in a city that was established almost 40 years later.

Why am I doing this?

Giving a chance for a fellow MD'er the thrill in finding an "old" coin. Rekindling the passion if you will... And I'm interesting in finding out how long it takes to be found. Who will the skillful MD'er be? Post your find and Happy Hunting!!!

Here are the picts and clues...

Bottlenose.

2007 COIN COUNT
Sac Dollars = 1
Quarters = 54
Dimes = 61
Barber Dimes=2
Nickels = 8
Stinkin Lincoln = 322
Wheaties= 11
IH=1
Rings=1
Total Coins Found = 350​

Attachments

• Mar032007 164 (Large).jpg
    Mar032007 164 (Large).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Mar032007 168 (Large).jpg
    Mar032007 168 (Large).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Mar032007 170 (Large).jpg
    Mar032007 170 (Large).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,221

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My remote sensing capabilities say its right here LOL. Should be intresting to see who finds it.

kenb

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,204
D

dugupfinds

Why have you shown a picture of a 1837 when you buried a 1839?

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This sounds like entrapment, sure your not a anti Metal Detecting law enforcement agent? ;D

I would give it a try but Im to lazy to drive down there and track down the owners of the property, looks like private property.

S

stefen

Had dinner at Parker's Lighthouse last night in Shoreline Village next to the Queen Mary...should have looked for the coin instead of submitting ourselves to poor service and mediocre tourist food.

Not one of the better areas due to the criminal element and street people in the area...future stepson was mugged twice in the last several months.

Personally, I would think twice before bringing a $1K machine into the open...I wouldn't go alone...and would have someone (or a big bad dog) protecting my back.

As to the property ownership...each to his own...might take several months searching the County Recorders records to find the actual owner...most likely a corporation of a corporation of a corporation.......and with a 25' X 25' area, I'd hit it hard and then book on down the road.

Suggest that you announce when and if the coin is found so that people don't waste their time...

OP
OP
M-Squared

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos goes out to sandollar for recovering the 1837 Large Cent in under 1 hour of detecting (8 hours elapsed from initial bury time to discovery time). It's not a surprise that this large cent is his first and perhaps his only one he'll ever find in Long Beach.

M-Squared

S

stefen

Wonder how many people visited the site...with or without machines$

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Haha, too funny! I was all around that site back then, recognized it right away. think I actually hunted it too at one point... Haha, wish I would have seen this post back then!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread