SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowzer!! That coin is in great shape!! If only it could talk and it's (our) local history!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to TreasureNet !!
That's a great looking coin; first one of those (from Durango) that I've seen on TN.
It was the first year of that series (1811-1822), issued during Mexico's War of Independence (1810-1821); a Royalist Issue.
It was also a large coin (at 40mm diameter-or about 5% bigger than an Ike dollar).
Several years ago that coin was worth BIG BUCKS. I wouldn't clean it, but I would get it authenticated and graded.
But I'd first go back to the same area and keep digging.
Don.......
Don.........

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking coin; first one of those (from Durango) that I've seen on TN.
It was the first year of that series (1811-1822), issued during Mexico's War of Independence (1810-1821); a Royalist Issue.
It was also a large coin (at 40mm diameter-or about 5% bigger than an Ike dollar).
Several years ago that coin was worth BIG BUCKS. I wouldn't clean it, but I would get it authenticated and graded.
Don.......
Don.........
can i go? :skullflag:

OP
OP
H

HollisterSteve

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don.......
Don.........

Thanks for the info! I did some online research and I couldn't find much info about it.

iyaoyassfwsp

Mar 16, 2014
Hanford Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350, Treasure Commander TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find bud.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Steve, Thanx for posting that on the kinzli forum too. Reales are hard enough to find in CA as it is (barring those later ones that were arriving and still circulating at the early part of statehood and the gold rush era). But for reales of the Mexican era and Spanish era: The entire non-indian population of CA, prior to ... say .... 1840, was probably numbered only @ 10k or so ? So to find coins from that era, is a needle in hay-stacks.

And to top it all off, you don't content yourself with merely finding a half reale, 1 reale, or 2 reale. You go straight to the top and get an 8 reale! That's like finding a USA silver dollar as your first silver coin.

And I know you worked hard for that puppy. Because I know where you found it :) In that field there's been perhaps 70 to 90 or so reales that I can think of that've turned up. And 6 gold coins. And scores of buttons. But it's no longer easy to work. Heck, even "back in the day" a guy would work hard for a single reale (but with less junk than is there now, so it wasn't as punishing back then).

Of all the reales that've been found in that field, I think perhaps 4 were 8 reale denomination. Including two from the Zacatecas mint .

As far as value of yours: If you want to email me some macro shots, I will forward them to a coin collector wheeler dealer friend of mine for his input. Years ago (before the advent of ebay, etc...) reales were usually of no value. It was hard to find buyers here, as most people in the USA tend to collect USA coins, of course. So no matter WHAT the world coin book said, you'd be hard-pressed to find a buyer. Heck, sometimes we'd even find ones that supposedly were not minted in a certain year, or from a mint that supposedly didn't put out that denomination that year, etc... And even having pointed that out to the coin store guy, they still weren't interested. Because fact was, there simply wasn't buyers.

But the advent of the internet, ebay, etc.... changed all that. Now that the "world is smaller", collectors of niche coin categories like that, can indeed "bid up" the value, spur interest etc... On the downside, of course, is there can be gluts in the market of ones previously thought to be rare. Or perhaps still rare, but all the certain niche collectors have found their sample, hence demand for more that surface go down. So it's a mixed bag. So send me some pix via email, and I'll shoot them to my collector friend.

Congratz again!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz again Steve and thanks to Tom for the above post! Love the history that can be found of Old California in our area!!

OP
OP
H

HollisterSteve

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, Thanx for posting that on the kinzli forum too. Reales are hard enough to find in CA as it is (barring those later ones that were arriving and still circulating at the early part of statehood and the gold rush era). But for reales of the Mexican era and Spanish era: The entire non-indian population of CA, prior to ... say .... 1840, was probably numbered only @ 10k or so ? So to find coins from that era, is a needle in hay-stacks.

And to top it all off, you don't content yourself with merely finding a half reale, 1 reale, or 2 reale. You go straight to the top and get an 8 reale! That's like finding a USA silver dollar as your first silver coin.

And I know you worked hard for that puppy. Because I know where you found it :) In that field there's been perhaps 70 to 90 or so reales that I can think of that've turned up. And 6 gold coins. And scores of buttons. But it's no longer easy to work. Heck, even "back in the day" a guy would work hard for a single reale (but with less junk than is there now, so it wasn't as punishing back then).

Of all the reales that've been found in that field, I think perhaps 4 were 8 reale denomination. Including two from the Zacatecas mint .

As far as value of yours: If you want to email me some macro shots, I will forward them to a coin collector wheeler dealer friend of mine for his input. Years ago (before the advent of ebay, etc...) reales were usually of no value. It was hard to find buyers here, as most people in the USA tend to collect USA coins, of course. So no matter WHAT the world coin book said, you'd be hard-pressed to find a buyer. Heck, sometimes we'd even find ones that supposedly were not minted in a certain year, or from a mint that supposedly didn't put out that denomination that year, etc... And even having pointed that out to the coin store guy, they still weren't interested. Because fact was, there simply wasn't buyers.

But the advent of the internet, ebay, etc.... changed all that. Now that the "world is smaller", collectors of niche coin categories like that, can indeed "bid up" the value, spur interest etc... On the downside, of course, is there can be gluts in the market of ones previously thought to be rare. Or perhaps still rare, but all the certain niche collectors have found their sample, hence demand for more that surface go down. So it's a mixed bag. So send me some pix via email, and I'll shoot them to my collector friend.

Congratz again!
Wow thanks for all this info and the info that led me to that spot Tom! I will send you some better picures of the coin this week.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ok. And I sent you a PM on the kinzli forum. Did you get that ?

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's awesome.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Need to get it weighed and appraised, Steve. I'm a little concerned over the dent on the right side...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread