GT was busy yesterday...antique, old coins, sinkers, and medallions

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hunted an old beach yesterday....targets everywhere..I just kept diggin' & scoopin' almost non-stop for 3 1/2 hours.

Lots of old decrepit coins; a nice 1917 "buffalo"; a couple of "wheaties", 3 medallions, antique bottle; antique spoon ( stamped "coin silver plated" , but after electrolysis it turned a golden hue ; sinkers; you name it...I dug it .

Here's a bit of info on "coin silver flatware" that I found on a site while researching this spoon:

What Exactly is Coin Silver?

Well, we can't define it "exactly". Coin silver flatware was manufactured in America from early colonial times to just after the Civil War. The raw material was melted European coins of the time. They were about 90% pure silver. Compare this purity with that of sterling which is 92.5% pure silver.

We found other references to coin silver flatware that included purity levels as low as 80% pure silver. Therefore, it's difficult to tell the purity definitively.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pattern of this spoon is "ROXBURY" , patented in 1906.

I haven't dug so much in a long, long time; pass the Advil, please

Here's some pics

thanks for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• Picture 7424.jpg
    Picture 7424.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 251
  • Picture 7428.jpg
    Picture 7428.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Picture 7426.jpg
    Picture 7426.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Picture 7435.jpg
    Picture 7435.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 7448.jpg
    Picture 7448.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 255

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumleft: very nice Lorraine lets keep the stuff come its out there.... :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread