New guy in Tampa

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured I would introduce myself here too.

Iv'e been lurking for awhile now just researching but this last weekend I bought my 1st MD(an ATpro) and I figured I would start participating.

So far I did a little 30 min test run in my In-laws front yard. My 6yo son helped me with the digging and we were rewarded with a handful of change ($.85) from next to the driveway; a spot he picked. He was very excited and promised to share the loot with me.

Today, after work, I plan to start checking some of the sites in my neck of the woods that I have been researching these past 4 months. Hopefully I'm on to some spots that haven't seen a metal detector before.

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured I would introduce myself here too.

Iv'e been lurking for awhile now just researching but this last weekend I bought my 1st MD(an ATpro) and I figured I would start participating.

So far I did a little 30 min test run in my In-laws front yard. My 6yo son helped me with the digging and we were rewarded with a handful of change ($.85) from next to the driveway; a spot he picked. He was very excited and promised to share the loot with me.

Today, after work, I plan to start checking some of the sites in my neck of the woods that I have been researching these past 4 months. Hopefully I'm on to some spots that haven't seen a metal detector before.

Welcome to the obsession & good luck finding a spot in Tampa that hasn't been hit a million times. I'm also in Tampa, sadly most good areas are either under concrete or Fed land & off limits :-(

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
T

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I'm being naïve hoping to find areas that haven't been hunted but I might as well learn close to home in the places I know the most about historically. I'm just outside Tampa actually, close to Thonotosassa, In an area that has been well traveled since the late 1800's if not always well settled. So far everything around here is just covered in trash. Im not sure if our sandy soil here is a help or a hindrance though. Easy to dig in but do objects just sink down too deep after awhile?

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I'm being naïve hoping to find areas that haven't been hunted but I might as well learn close to home in the places I know the most about historically. I'm just outside Tampa actually, close to Thonotosassa, In an area that has been well traveled since the late 1800's if not always well settled. So far everything around here is just covered in trash. Im not sure if our sandy soil here is a help or a hindrance though. Easy to dig in but do objects just sink down too deep after awhile?

No, that happens up north due to the cold winters. The ground freezes and pushes finds deeper but here most stuff is 7-9 at its deepest, average I'd say is around 3-6 inches. I pulled a 1908 King Edward out last week and it was only 4 inches down. I'm actually in Valrico not Tampa and you're right you're in a good area. I've found 2 significant spots in Thonotosassa but both are someone's yards now. Ones actually a pasture but I still got a no on hunting it.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Valrico similar to the Delrico here?

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Valrico is to Tampa what Winter Springs is to Orlando....if that makes sense?! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread