Found first Gold nugget today......!

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
I was metal detecting for nuggets at an old Gold mine here in Ga. And after owning my GTI 2500 for only 6 weeks I found me a nugget. Is beautiful. It is 7.2 grams or 4.6 dwt. basically just a hair under 1/4 oz nugget. I did some research and went to the mine and on second trip found one....very exciting! enjoys pics of it.......HH. Alan in marietta.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 4,626
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 14,814
  • IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,339
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,048

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Awesome nugget congrats

hunting for gold is something i've wanted to do for a number of years now,maybe some day i will be able too.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
:o None of mine are that nice! CONGRATS on an incredible find and best of luck in finding MANY more!!

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

Alan, congrats on the eye popping nugget. Georgia from what i have read still has allot to offer in the way of placer finds and they still have not found the huge vein attributed to finds like yours, most off all the miners they say prematurely left the area during the '49 rush. Then the union put a stop to the mint and as much of the mining as they could, leaving you a good chance of finding allot more and possibly that fatttt nugget or vein. The largest nugget ever found in GA was [softball size] by a young fella with a metal detector in a small stream bed around Tate. If you go through Ballground watch out for speed traps, that's their only revenue it seems. Do you ever hit Utoy creek?,  i saw that you live close to their. Hope to see you out there, and lots of luck.

BigNuggets

Nov 2, 2007
Toccoa,GA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Classic 2
Hey Allen where did ya get that nugget? I hunt there all the time. Are you a WEGM member?

Come on now you can tell me ;) ;)

TwT

Dec 4, 2006
Lincolnton, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. GT
I live in Lincoln County Ga. I didn't realize there were old mines that you could visit, I thought most everything was privately owned now, wish it was like in Ca. were you could still have a claim, might be but I dought it... does anyone know???

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Hi Bearkat

Congra. for that nugget. I own a GTI 2500 and it's great but I never tried for nugget hunting in Georgia state. I live in West Palm beach, Florida and Myself and My wife wants to go there but We don't know a right place.

Thanks

Amona

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats! Always a pleasure to find nuggets. :)

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
awesome find!once in a lifetime for sure great going hope you find more is this on public land just wondering is there any left.

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
WOW... that is a really nice find! I mostly hunt CW relics. Maybe I need to do some prospecting. I recently got a White's V3, maybe I should try out the prospecting program.... nice going!! BTW, I live in Cassville/Cartersville.

Julien

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful nugget, Bearkat.

I really can't understand why there aren't MORE folks nugget shooting in the Appalachian chain. The first huge gold rush in the U.S. was in Vermont/New Hampshire region. That was followed by a second one in North Georgia. The rush in Vermont/New Hampshire was cut short by the Revolution and people just didn't pick it back up again, for some reason. There should be some SERIOUS gold to be found there and in North Georgia.
Good luck to the folks living there. :thumbsup:

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Shortstack said:
That's a beautiful nugget, Bearkat.

I really can't understand why there aren't MORE folks nugget shooting in the Appalachian chain.:thumbsup:

That's because your chances are pretty low with a detector. Running a dredge or highbanker is almost a necessity if you want to find anything other than very small nuggets or flake. Our gold hunting club rents some prime property less than a mile from where the gold rush boom town of Auraria once stood. I've seen very few detector finds made on the property. Bearkat has a nice find, but I doubt he will be that lucky again anytime soon with a detector. Please prove me wrong and I'll put my foot in my mouth....

Stan

ride

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
thought we aren't allow to metal detect up in the Forrest up there I been told if they caught you with a md in ur car they will take it

kimosarbe

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a good feeling finding one of those nuggetts .That ones big enough to hang around your neck .. and advertize it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread