Bottle Display

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
I want to build a bottle display in my home, but I want to make sure the shelf is relatively earthquake proof. So far the best I've seen is Hawaiiandigger's. Please let me know if any of you have any design ideas, or better yet some photos. All of my bottles are in boxes safe and sound, but not being enjoyed. >:(

Attachments

• DSC02355.JPG
    DSC02355.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC02351.JPG
    DSC02351.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC02352.JPG
    DSC02352.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 476
  • DSC02354.JPG
    DSC02354.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC02354.JPG
    DSC02354.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC02354.JPG
    DSC02354.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC02354.JPG
    DSC02354.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC02352.JPG
    DSC02352.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC02351.JPG
    DSC02351.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC02355.JPG
    DSC02355.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 500
Dec 5, 2009
Wassup Hilo: Love the collection too. To me, there's nothing mo betta than Hawaiian Digger's. Gonna get the same Cless who did his to do mine cause I finally got the space to make um happen. I can hardly wait :blob1:.

hawaiiandigger

Nov 2, 2009
Howzit Hilo- your bottles look CHERRY if you no more shelf at your house I can bottle sit em for you for a couple of years !!!! :hello2:

OP
OP
Colonel Ken

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
Mahalo. I still have my Big Island stuff, a few whiskeys and gins packed away too. Maybe I should let Hawaiiandigger bottlesit :tongue3: My son Justin has more bottles displayed than I do. :dontknow:

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Howzit Hilo!

As someone who collected bottles in Hilo I understand all about earthquakes. I used to lose about half my collection in every big quake back in the 70's :(

I was just a kid back then and didn't really care that much - I'd just go out and find more ;D

When I moved to Northern California I didn't escape the earthquakes. However, I became much smarter in my displays and haven't lost any more bottles - even in the magnitude 6.9 Loma-Prieta quake :o

I assume that you're still in Hilo, otherwise you don't have an issue. A big quake on Oahu is around magnitude 4. That won't even knock a bottle off the shelf!!! :laughing9:

Here's one suggestion for your display: Secure 2x4 lumber directly to your walls. They should be screwed directly into the studs. A 2x4 is about 3 1/2" wide, so it will provide plenty of width for a soda (approximately 2 3/8" wide). Attach as many (and as long) as you need for your collection.

Now, the best way to describe my idea is to think of each display section as a "box". For safety, the inside of each box should measure about 19" long by 10" tall. This is big enough for 8 sodas to fit tightly packed, side by side (go a bit over 19" long for marbles and Hollister squats - of which I see you have both).

Each box should have 3 wires accross the front to keep sodes from falling out during a quake. As measured from the surface the sodes sit on, these wires should be placed at 2", 4" and 6". The 2" wire keeps sodes from rolling underneath (since they're 2 3/8" in diameter). The 6" wire should be high enough to keep them from leaping over the top.

You can run a couple of 2x4s accross your wall at about 5' and 6' height (best for viewing) and use vertical peices to create the separate "boxes". Note: if you choose to make longer boxes it increases the possibility that your wires will not be able to hold your bottles during "The Big One". My old bottlin partner from Hilo (who now lives in Kona) found this out when his fishing line failed during the big Kona earthquake. He lost over 100 sodas that day, don't make his mistake! :dontknow:

Here's a picture of my quake tested setup in Boulder Creek California (long since dismantled). Note: it's not exactly what I described and it uses a 4 wire technique. I used a cabinet that was already in the cabin and bolted it to the wall. The 4 wires accross the front are iron tie wire available in any hardware store. You'll probably want to use something more aesthetically pleasing like heavy duty (stainless steel preferred) fishing line :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 422
OP
OP
Colonel Ken

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
sodetraveler,
Thanks for the ideas. I especially like the three wire concept. If you have time check out Hawaiiandigger's shelf on his most recent post. Unreal shelf that displays an unbelievable collection. You can just imagine what is behind that Chevron sign.
As for me I moved to Oahu in 1995. Didn't get the bottle fever until just last year after my second deployment. The first 18 month vacation was in Baghdad and the second one year vacation in Kuwait. :icon_salut:I changed my priorities and decided to do the things that I love and to try to get my son interested in my hobbies as well. Its been working so far.
Here are some old pictures of some Hilo stuff posted to make you miss home. >:D

Aloha HBF

Attachments

• Excelsior Hilo.JPG
    Excelsior Hilo.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Hamakua.JPG
    Hamakua.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 421
  • Hilo Bottles.JPG
    Hilo Bottles.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 413

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Nice Hilo Sodes! :headbang:

The Excelsior Crown is a really tough bottle to find. When I started digging we didn't even know it existed! :dontknow:

I looked at HawaiianDigger's display and it appears that he may have cut out the sheet rock and built the display right into the wall. Since your typical wall stud is also a 2x4, this accomplishes the same goal without losing any space in your house - excellent idea!!! :sign13:

It also looks like he placed clear plastic (or glass?) separators between each bottle - nice touch! I don't see anything preventing them from falling out in an earthquake, but like I said, Oahu doesn't really have any significant earthquakes - or at least hasn't had any yet. Stringing a tight peice of wire accross the front wouldn't be a bad idea though!

808kaz

Nov 22, 2009
OAHU, HAWAII
Sodetraveler...HawaiianDigger's display is very impressive, the separators for each bottle is plexi-glass...what you don't see is the whole front has a removable sliding plexi-glass, quite impressive if you ask me...Hawaiidigger sure has a lot kids running around the house...Beside earth-quake proof it is definitely "KID" proof :laughing7:
Aloha 808KAZ

OP
OP
Colonel Ken

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
It took several years but I finally got my bottle display shelf built. Plexi glass between each bottle and for sliding doors. Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_20151015_182245.jpg
    IMG_20151015_182245.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 182

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your display looks top notch, very well done! I sure love the lighting! I hope it never gets tested for a quake☺

lawakua

Sep 13, 2011
Oahu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160918_085554.jpg Nice display! Mine looks similar to your, but I don't have plexiglass between each bottle.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions