Bottle Detecting

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
I had the great idea of buying a cheap metal detector and using it to find dumps up in the mountains :icon_sunny:

Unfortunately, there is a whole lot of metal everywhere up there.......

However, it recently occurred to me that maybe you guys might have better luck with those fancy dual field detectors ::)

Do you think that you could distinguish between a Hutchinson Wire Stopper and other worthless garbage? They look like they're made from some type of copper alloy, but I'm sure you guys could figure it out pretty quick by waving your detector over one!

If you could pinpoint a Hutch a few feet underground, it may just be worth me going out and buying one of those things! :headbang:

Please let me know if this works......Mahalo!

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
The best you could do is use a detector to locate trash piles or pits.
Using it to locate an area with buried metal and then digging it up to see if it is indeed a pit with bottles.
Unfortunately, to tune a metal detector to a level of discrimination to find a just a brass wire stopper
would pickup almost everything in the ground from pieces of iron, aluminum, brass, copper and even high
concentrations of lava or hot rocks. And if you were so lucky to pass over only a hutch with the
wire stopper intact, it would have to be at most, 6 to 8 inches deep to pickup the signal.
Of course where there are bottles, there is usually a high concentration of various metals.
You would be better off using a bottle probe.

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Da Sand Crab said:
The best you could do is use a detector to locate trash piles or pits.
Using it to locate an area with buried metal and then digging it up to see if it is indeed a pit with bottles.

That was my original idea, but I found that areas where people lived or worked in the past are heavily littered with metal debris of all types.

It was a nice idea, but in the end......useless! What I need is a glass detector ::)

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Now here is a bottle that you could find with a metal detector - well at least if it hadn't been 2 feet underground :laughing7:

I just thought that it was a strange cooincidence that I dug this up in my backyard last night shortly after posting this thread. The cap is gold plated :o

Attachments

• RHInSitu.JPG
    RHInSitu.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 328
  • RHudnut.JPG
    RHudnut.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 336
  • RHGold.JPG
    RHGold.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 334

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread