Hilo Digs

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Just got back from a trip to Hilo to visit my Mom - or at least that's my cover story :laughing7:

The real purpose was of course to dig for bottles :hello2:

My Mom lives in an area of Hilo that's been populated since at least the 1880's and as a kid I often dug in our backyard.

This time I got permission to dig in one of the neighbor's yards and was lucky enough to probe out a couple of outhouses and a trash pit :headbang:

The outhouses were likely 1890's and turn-of-the-century, but the trash pit looked to be solid 1880's!

Unfortunately the vast majority of the stuff - and all of the sodes - was broken :'(

There was one Pacific Soda Works with the bottom missing in the outhouse hole and a really old applied top hutchinson in the trash pit - just the top though. Probably a round bottom Hollister #202.......

I did find some awesome black glass gins - one of which has the crudest applied top I've ever seen! :icon_sunny:

I got another surprise when I was looking at some of the bottles I had left displayed at my Mom's house. I would have sworn that I never found a pontil'd bottle in Hilo, but there it was on the shelf. Just a little clear blank med with a flared lip. I checked the base and there was the pontil mark. Needless to say I brought that one back with me!

All this digging got me fired up to give my backyard in Saratoga, CA another try - and I score hitting an 1860's trash pit! But those are not Hawaii finds so I posted them up in Bottles & Glass under the heading Last Night Under the Deck.

Sorry I didn't get any action shots, but here are the bottles I found:

Attachments

• Booty.JPG
    Booty.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 573
  • Black Glass.JPG
    Black Glass.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 578
  • Booty.JPG
    Booty.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 529
  • Black Glass.JPG
    Black Glass.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 579
  • Hilo Punty.JPG
    Hilo Punty.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 562

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
Nice finds! Always liked those shoyu & bean pots. They make great decors in any setting. Hoping some day I will find a the square shaped shoyu bottle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread