For all those who hunt the grass....

taz76

Mar 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Vision, Garrett Ace 250, Fisher CZ7a-Pro
I'm mainly a woods hunter. I love to get off the beaten path. I rescue many items that are missed by the hobbyist covering the same cultivated grass that has had a dozen detectors pass over it. Most grass hunters have their setting for coins only. This is a no no in the woods. You won't have all the pull tabs to sift through and most of your targets even if junk tell a tale of the history of the area. Case in point: Last month I found four wheat cents in a wooded park, I stopped hunting and invited club members to hunt this one hundred square foot area. After five others scoured the area three tokens and one wheat cent was recovered. Last week I decided to go back and see what they left me. I spent only one hour, didn't cover much of the area but came up with ten old shotgun shells, two rifle casings, one wheat 1918, one dateless buffalo nickel and a 14-K wedding band. There is more to find as all these targets were within three inches depth and most were out of the coin range.

PATH
Peoria Area Treasure Hunters Club

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks Taz!
Good info we all need to be mindful of but sometimes forget to share.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome & Congrats on the finds taz !

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Taz,

I agree with you 100%. I follow the same standard as you do when metal detecting the woods, and I've been rewarded with countless treasures that wouldn't have been found had I been looking for copper or silver coins only.

However, I have to believe that there are many individuals who are out there only for silver. I think different people define "treasure" in their own ways. For me, finding some old buffalo or V nickels is great, finding old gold is even better. Silver is never frowned upon! However, there are the ones who will speed-hunt certain areas, listening only for the dime and quarter and half dollar signals, and ignoring most penny and all nickels signals. It's not necessarily that they are picky, I think they just have different ideas as to what "treasure" is. Personally, I don't mind digging up the old-style pulltabs and shotgun shells in the woods, even though I throw them all away at the end of the day. It keeps me going, I know those will be old nickels sometimes. If some people don't like the nickels, fine. I'll get them!

I am, however, more discriminatory in the "field", out in parks and whatnot. I might start out digging any old deep signal, but oftentimes I tire from that and seek only the deeper high-tones. Depends on my mood I guess. I have dug quite a few deep low signals that turned out to be nickels. One of my deepest coins I've ever dug was a 1923 buffalo nickel from a heavily-detected park, from 9 inches.

Joe

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I recently hunted a area outside a old ball field that dated back 75 years. I knew the area was really trashy (especially rusty old bottle caps). I had hunted it a couple years ago and found a really nice 1914D Barber Dime.

I don't like hunting with high discrimination, I prefer to hunt slowly and let the audio and visual target I.D. do it's job. Eats up a lot of time but have made some really nice finds doing that. I recently bought a Minelab E-Trac and decided to run it through it's paces in that area and see what I could come up with. Found a few clad Dimes and Quarters and some copper Lincolns and except for a silver war nickle no other silver. But one thing I really found was a lot of nickles, 27 total in a area no more then 30' square. Someone cranked up the discriminator and went through that area and cherry picked the silver, but that's OK as I'm not to proud to dig up those nickles, I have to get up and down five times to get the same amount in copper pennies. I won't get down to dig shallow zinc pennies but if that depth shows 4" or deeper I'll sure dig them signals, that's where I get my Indians. "Rock in Chairs Gold".

Joe Hoo said:
love those nickels

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
I recently hunted a area outside a old ball field that dated back 75 years. I knew the area was really trashy (especially rusty old bottle caps). I had hunted it a couple years ago and found a really nice 1914D Barber Dime.

I don't like hunting with high discrimination, I prefer to hunt slowly and let the audio and visual target I.D. do it's job. Eats up a lot of time but have made some really nice finds doing that. I recently bought a Minelab E-Trac and decided to run it through it's paces in that area and see what I could come up with. Found a few clad Dimes and Quarters and some copper Lincolns and except for a silver war nickle no other silver. But one thing I really found was a lot of nickles, 27 total in a area no more then 30' square. Someone cranked up the discriminator and went through that area and cherry picked the silver, but that's OK as I'm not to proud to dig up those nickles, I have to get up and down five times to get the same amount in copper pennies. I won't get down to dig shallow zinc pennies but if that depth shows 4" or deeper I'll sure dig them signals, that's where I get my Indians. "Rock in Chairs Gold".

Joe Hoo said:
love those nickels

should i go up or below the nickel setting, i usually keep it on the nickel setting because i was told this is a happy medium for gold as well.... lookin for opinion, i use 2 detectors when i hunt i have had great luck with the Tesoro compadre with its small coil around trees etc i use my lobo when i am out in the open... found my first silver doller yesterday 1926 peace.... no it is not posted yet... and found it with my compadre about 6 inches deep... yee haw.........

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Joe Hoo said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:

I don't like hunting with high discrimination, I prefer to hunt slowly and let the audio and visual target I.D. do it's job. Eats up a lot of time but have made some really nice finds doing that. I recently bought a Minelab Track and decided to run it through it's paces in that area and see what I could come up with. Found a few clad Dimes and Quarters and some copper Lincolns and except for a silver war nickle no other silver. But one thing I really found was a lot of nickles, 27 total in a area no more then 30' square. Someone cranked up the discriminator and went through that area and cherry picked the silver, but that's OK as I'm not to proud to dig up those nickles, I have to get up and down five times to get the same amount in copper pennies. I won't get down to dig shallow zinc pennies but if that depth shows 4" or deeper I'll sure dig them signals, that's where I get my Indians. "Rock in Chairs Gold".

Joe Hoo said:
love those nickel's

should i go up or below the nickel setting, i usually keep it on the nickel setting because i was told this is a happy medium for gold as well.... lookin for opinion, i use 2 detectors when i hunt i have had great luck with the Tesoro compadre with its small coil around trees etc i use my lobo when i am out in the open... found my first silver doller yesterday 1926 peace.... no it is not posted yet... and found it with my compadre about 6 inches deep... yee haw.........

Keep the nickle area open and try to have the Patience to dig all signals in that area. I have in the past dug a few gold rings a couple of those were 18K wedding bands. I occasionally get a small tab or crumpled piece of foils in that area but that's just part of the game. Rick "IL"

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
Joe Hoo said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:

I don't like hunting with high discrimination, I prefer to hunt slowly and let the audio and visual target I.D. do it's job. Eats up a lot of time but have made some really nice finds doing that. I recently bought a Minelab Track and decided to run it through it's paces in that area and see what I could come up with. Found a few clad Dimes and Quarters and some copper Lincolns and except for a silver war nickle no other silver. But one thing I really found was a lot of nickles, 27 total in a area no more then 30' square. Someone cranked up the discriminator and went through that area and cherry picked the silver, but that's OK as I'm not to proud to dig up those nickles, I have to get up and down five times to get the same amount in copper pennies. I won't get down to dig shallow zinc pennies but if that depth shows 4" or deeper I'll sure dig them signals, that's where I get my Indians. "Rock in Chairs Gold".

Joe Hoo said:
love those nickel's

Keep the nickle area open and try to have the Patience to dig all signals in that area. I have in the past dug a few gold rings a couple of those were 18K wedding bands. I occasionally get a small tab or crumpled piece of foils in that area but that's just part of the game. Rick "IL"

thanx rick for the reply, yes diggin those small tabs or crumpled piece of foils in that area is a part of the game. gots to be willing to dig those if you want a chance of finding something i was just wanting a lil assurance that i had my settings right, I always keep it in the nickel setting.... have made some great finds most recently 21 silver spoons... on a old homestead site... and yesterday a 1926 peace doller.... :hello2: :headbang: Happy hunting rick... happy new years... joe in central, illinois.....

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Joe - That Silver Dollar sound really nice. I have only found one Silver Dollar in 42 years of metal detecting, dug it from a plug someone else had dug a pull tab out of and just stuck it back in the hole. I went over the hole again after I retrieved the tab, got another signal and down about two inch's was a 1923 Peace Dollar. :hello2:

I walked over another one on a boulevard back in the 80's as it was so shallow it set off my overload alarm on my detector. My son came right up behind me and dug it. It was a beautiful 1886 Morgan Dollar. I still get ribbed about that one from him.

Those silver spoons sound really good also, depending on size with the price of silver right now one could be worth as much for silver content as that Silver dollar you just dug. Keep up the good hunting. Love to read where others are doing so well. Us old timers didn't get it all. Rick - Rock in Chairs Gold in Central "IL" :coffee2:

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
Joe - That Silver Dollar sound really nice. I have only found one Silver Dollar in 42 years of metal detecting, dug it from a plug someone else had dug a pull tab out of and just stuck it back in the hole. I went over the hole again after I retrieved the tab, got another signal and down about two inch's was a 1923 Peace Dollar. :hello2:

I walked over another one on a boulevard back in the 80's as it was so shallow it set off my overload alarm on my detector. My son came right up behind me and dug it. It was a beautiful 1886 Morgan Dollar. I still get ribbed about that one from him.

Those silver spoons sound really good also, depending on size with the price of silver right now one could be worth as much for silver content as that Silver dollar you just dug. Keep up the good hunting. Love to read where others are doing so well. Us old timers didn't get it all. Rick - Rock in Chairs Gold in Central "IL" :coffee2:

I was at a old homestead built in 1875 last week found 15 sterling spoons black as coal... i am very cautious about my finds and what i post, i am presently working on cleaning these spoons there soaking in lemon juice and i also am doing a lil cleaning with a toothbrush and flouride toothpaste... the property belongs to a Centralia police officer, he said anything i find is all mines... because he just bought the land and they will be building there future home there starting this spring, i live in one of his houses, it was built in 1897, i just moved in here may 2010... i have a half a block of property... 3 car garage and a big lot enough to put 3 houses on... i will be scouring the land when the weather gets warmer...

Love to read where others are doing so well too Rick, if you have not seen my post look for the old homestead site posted by camb1 i posted my spoon finds there... its in the illinois forum... i did find 5 more spoons after that pic was takin i also found a sterling bracelet belonging to a mike that was the name engraved on it it weighs 62 grams... i also found a womans sterling pendant with green stones in it.. it must be at least 100 yrs old... all of these items were black as coal as a result of the patina etc... and my latest find was the 1926 peace doller on the same site... which was actually in pretty good shape minus the patina.. has numerous scratches on it but after cleaning it looks pretty darn good i am impressed.... if you can not locate the silver spoon cache post i found i will post the pics here for ya.... the pic was takin after a some cleaning... there is still some yellowish color on them as a result of being buried close to a old well, the ground was pretty saturated with a lot of water, my wife said she can make them look better with some tarn x.. we are still in the process of cleaning them up better.. so many things to do, so lil time lol.... i do have some new sites i will be prospecting when the weather gets warmer, i have gold fever, i want to make 2011 a year for change. i will be focusing on gold and where it has been found, been doing alot of research... hope it pays off.... i am in the centralia area here in central il.... but my new sites are about 100 miles away.... will be hitting them come spring and summer.... keep in touch.... HH joe
here is the link for the post that i posted my spoons under.... scroll down to the bottom of that post and you will see my post....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,372752.msg2652486.html#msg2652486

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Joe - Those spoons are some really nice stuff. What a proud display you could make out of those. :headbang:
Congratulations - I hope you have many, many more such good finds. Good luck on your hunts for Gold. Keep us up dated.

Rick: Rock in Chairs Gold :coffee2:

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
Joe - Those spoons are some really nice stuff. What a proud display you could make out of those. :headbang:
Congratulations - I hope you have many, many more such good finds. Good luck on your hunts for Gold. Keep us up dated.

Rick: Rock in Chairs Gold :coffee2:

thank you my friend, was out in garage yesterday after your post about display etc i was like no wonder i am on this site.... lots to learn and some great ideas.... i am putting together a display case for my silver spoon hoard, do not think i will ever come across something of this magnitude again... but, never say never.... will keep you posted on my gold hunt for sure.... HH Joe Hoo

dirtshark

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Kane Co. IL.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Taz , Nice finds, Good info for sure, Ive started huntin the grasses away from structures and schools and have recently found a bunch of fourtys weeties and a 10k gold ring ta boot. Been hunting the low tones and im getting a great collection of zipper tongues. 4 today :}

Last edited:

historyncoins1

Feb 8, 2015
NW IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a very good lesson pay close attention to signals and take your time you might just miss something good if you rush

Cgrose88

Apr 14, 2020
Centralia,IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO 22.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still using this site? I’m new to MDing and live in centralia. Would love to meet other dectorists!
Caleb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread