Alton, Illinois caches found

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Treasure Hunting Annual Volume 1, p. 67, includes a cache found by Roy Volker in November, 1978 at Alton, Illinois. Roy wrote about this cache here, calling the article "BLIND LUCK, from the forthcoming book, "TREASURES FOUND part 1."

Voker states the property had several caches, at least two of which had already been located. The first was found after a retired streetcar conductor, who told of burying several caches of coins on the property, died during the Great Depression. After the conductor died, his wife found one cache.

After to agreeing to 25% of whatever was found, Volker travelled to Alton where he met 3 other detector users. The next few hours passed without much happening. The Volker got a good loud signal near a tree on the property, and started digging. He eventually recovered a large box containing 10, 769 coins. Included were 4,612 dimes, 3,154 quarters, 3,003 half dollars: for a total of $3,115.70 in mostly Barber coins! In case you were wondering, Volker says the box and coins weighed 235 pounds, including 3,055 troy ounces of silver.

At the current price of $18.32/ounce at Kitco.com, this cache would have been worth $55, 967.60!

And there's always the question: did they find it all?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dreifurst

May 16, 2013
I am about 30 minutes from Alton. Anyone interested?

I will go anytime com get me I lost my license. but I'll pay the trip o need a partner to hunt with I do a lot of night hunting to I think I'm the only one who does this lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread