Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out Sunday for a expeditionary hunt with you know who. Just can't seem to shake this guy :laughing7:

Plan "A" was to checkout the River Preserve Park in New Paris, but nothing around there looked to promising. In fact, I think it is most likely a Nature Preserve, so we just drove on by.

Decided to checkout some of the Goshen City Parks and finally made a decision to settle down and hunt one. It took awhile for the finds to start flowing and my ogre hunting buddy walks over with a Silver Smile on his face while I'm getting ready to dig my target. He's holding a nice '42 Merc. in his hand. He stands there waiting to see what I am about to recover when we both see a silver coin in a clod of dirt. Upon first glance we had no idea what it was as it was caked with clay and with a little water from my bottle my second Barber dime (1916) of the year showed its face. About 6 feet away I pulled a Merc. at an honest 9 inches and was on my way to the Silver Dime Tri-Fecta. Sad to say that didn't happen, but we had a good hunt just the same.

The 2 wheats that do not have the reddish tone to them were in the same hole with a nice sized square nail.

The scan with the 11 coins is a combined hunt and is from last Sunday.

Thanks for looking
DJH

Attachments

• Sept. 11 & 18.jpg
    Sept. 11 & 18.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Sept. 18 Obverse.jpg
    Sept. 18 Obverse.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Sept. 18 Reverse.jpg
    Sept. 18 Reverse.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 181

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt there, congrats on the silver. Its always nice to find those barbers or earlier silvers, I went out sunday and only got buttons at a new place in the woods. The button was 1850 or earlier it said extra colour on the back, but couldn't believe I didn't find any old coins there. Didn't cover it all there so will give it another try as I don't think this ones been detected before its way off the beaten path, matter of fact its off an old wagon trail.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster said:
Great hunt there, congrats on the silver. Its always nice to find those barbers or earlier silvers, I went out sunday and only got buttons at a new place in the woods. The button was 1850 or earlier it said extra colour on the back, but couldn't believe I didn't find any old coins there. Didn't cover it all there so will give it another try as I don't think this ones been detected before its way off the beaten path, matter of fact its off an old wagon trail.
Sounds like a great spot to give it the old college try at.
Best of luck to you next time there :icon_thumright:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs dj. Is that 1916 a D ;D

DBFISHER

Apr 21, 2009
Elkhart, IN.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350 , Fisher F-70
Hey djh, my nephew(inlaw) found a couple civil war bullets at the river preserve at the beginning of the summer. Don

adeptr

Aug 4, 2010
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Older Garrett GTA 350, Newer Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the silver!! Still haven't ever found a barber dime yet.........not giving up though.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin in IN said:
Nice digs dj. Is that 1916 a D ;D
Don't I wish :tongue3:
I actually did look for a mint mark, but no such luck. And besides, correct date, wrong bust :laughing7:
DBFISHER said:
Hey djh, my nephew(inlaw) found a couple civil war bullets at the river preserve at the beginning of the summer. Don
Cool. Hopefully they are of the period and not from some muzzleloader hunter of present day. Where you been hiding DB?
adeptr said:
Way to go on the silver!! Still haven't ever found a barber dime yet.........not giving up though.
That Barber dime will show when you least expect it. This one was in the plug and about 4"-5" deep at most. It goes to show that shallows ones can be oldies as well. A few years ago, I dug a Seated dime that was so shallow that I could pinpoint it with my Propointer. Definitely wasn't expecting anything like that.

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-
My last barber dime was maybe 3 inches, the merc i dug sunday was about 8 inches and it was a 1942 and maybe 15 feet from DJH's barber..

Got to dig those shallow targets and the iffy targets...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread