Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three different types of cents. All different sizes. When wet with oil I think I can make out 1832 on the coronet one. I wouldn't bet on it though. I have found many large cents. These were found a couple years ago in a plowed under home site.

Large Cents1 .jpg Large Cents2 .jpg

OP
OP
G

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found my share of jewelry over the years. When gold was climbing in 2010 and hit 1300.00 an ounce I sold the jewelry to recoup the cost of the detectors and accessories I had bought over the years with some left over. I made enough money to pay for all my purchases except my most recent one. Coins and relics are great to find but it will take jewelry for most of us to show a profit. I hope the finds I post here are encouraging. Indiana is a great state to hunt in with a wide variety of treasure. I have yet to find a gold coin but I'm sure there's one waiting for me out there somewhere.

Jonathan_K

Dec 24, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some pretty cool finds! :icon_thumleft: Hope I have a bit of the same luck when I get out there!

OP
OP
G

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jonathan,
I'm sure your treasures will come. One thing to remember, The detector wont find anything sitting in the closet. So many end up there after a few hunts. Give yourself time to learn your detector and it will pay off in many fine memories......HH

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some pretty cool finds! :icon_thumleft: Hope I have a bit of the same luck when I get out there!

Welcome to Tnet Jonathan. Hoosiers are always welcome here. :thumbsup: As GR mentioned, the more you get to know your detector, the more successful you will be. I started out with a basic machine many years ago at tot lots, parks, and schools. The amount of clad I dug quickly paid for my detector, pin pointer, and additional accessories. You will also find the occasional silver or gold ring at those kind of spots. Just GO SLOW, grid off sections, and keep the coil down low (sweeping the top of the grass). Over time you will probably upgrade detectors and add additional equipment. I highly recommend branching out and getting permission to detect old properties. You will be amazed at all the old relics and coins you will find at some of those places, and you will be hooked for sure. Don't get discouraged if someone beat you to a particular spot. It happens to all of us. You just keep plugging away. Virgin spots are getting harder and harder to find. You will get turned down sometimes too when asking permission to detect places. Again, don't get bummed out. You have a 50/50 shot. Once you do get permission to a property and find some relics, offer a few things to the property owner to show your appreciation, and keep their name and phone number to use as a reference for future spots. You should have plenty of old farm properties in S. Indiana and Kentucky. I wish you all the best.
-Doug-
(N. Indiana Hoosier)

Jonathan_K

Dec 24, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the encouragement, folks. I'm hoping to get out a bit on Tuesday with a buddy of mine from work, to hit a couple of parks and tot-lots, and get a feel for it. He's had his MD a bit longer than I have.

Also, another friend of ours from work has invited us to go check a spot with him later on that he deer hunts on, that he says has a couple of old cabins from the 1920's. I'm pretty excited to go look there, though that probably won't happen for a couple of months.

OP
OP
G

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this Buffalo at an old country school under the driveway stone. In the years since they have removed the school and sold the land. Gravel is hard digging but I have found some old coins doing it. Buffalo's wear heavily around the dates.

Buffalo.jpg Buffalob.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread