Knife river flint

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Here is what I think is Dakotas origin knife river flint (Matt G. please confirm or correct)I only find around one piece a year or every other year ,upper left piece appears to have been worked then at some time found its way to a streambed got tumbled polished up and re-found and brought back to a hilltop camp where I found it ,whats intresting is there is no indication of it being worked again so its value was reclaimed but left untouched maybe ?? Just my thoughts Lebruce that's the piece I shared with ya at last Mt Pleasant show.
creekfinds004.jpg

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous stuff - my fav arrowhead material.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
One of my earliest finds was a nice knife river point, I didn't realize at the time how special it was, but have found only a couple since.

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The narrow flake to the right appears to be pet wood. The flake on the left shows more of a KRF texture.

I think the amount of KRF found on an Iowa site depends largely on where in the state you are. The further north and further west you are the more you are likely to see. It is my opinion that the vast majority of KRF finds in Iowa were made from locally obtained material (from Wisconsinan age glacial deposits) as opposed to material that was traded for. A reasonable search of these deposits will almost always yield a piece large enough to make a basic arrowhead. I have found solid pieces as large as a football in central Iowa glacial gravel. I find maybe one point and a couple dozen flakes a year in the area I hunt.

We should have everyone post their Iowa KRF pieces..........that would really be neat to see what types and what region of the state the stuff is from. IIRC, there was a Folsom "found" (controversial apparently) several years ago that was bought for $$$$$$ buy a Wal Mart heir for his museum. Haven't heard a lot about this point for a while. I will see if I can find a pic of it. There was also a killer clovis of KRF and a story about it in the DSM Register a couple years ago.

Here is one I found last year

IMG_1085.jpg

Back half of a Dickson (sad eh?). The Dickson culture appears to have had a real fondness of KRF.

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread