Took The Boat- Found A Couple

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
After stumbling on those new firepits the other day, I decided to check out a couple that I've known about for a long time. It's a long, long walk down the river to them but the river is high enough to easily take my boat. So I took a great boat ride on a beautiful day and saved my legs a little. :D
I was able to pull right up to them with the boat. These are a lot easier to see than the ones from the other day. They are the only rocks along the river bank right through there and there is very little vegetation on the steep slope. I took a couple of pictures of them plus a closer shot of rocks that shows their heat fractured state.
I found some pottery shards fairly close to the pits and a couple of points down the riverbank a little ways.

fp1a.jpg

fp1c.jpg

fp1d.jpg

fp2a.jpg

fp2b.jpg

shard1a.jpg

shar1b.jpg

shard1d.jpg

shard2a.jpg

shard2b.jpg

shard2c.jpg

shard3a.jpg

shard3b.jpg

shard3c.jpg

point1a.jpg

point1b.jpg

point1c.jpg

point2a.jpg

point2b.jpg

point2c.jpg

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all the pics! I love I when you guys post these "photography essays"..........I seem to be in a never ending string of family events with no artifact hunting in between! That's about as obvious as a site could ever be. Very interesting stuff.

Matt

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a nice adventure, thanks for taking us along.. I loved it.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Nice finds Tom :thumbsup: Great job on the pictures as usual too. I was going to try to get out today, but will probably wait till tommorrow. I brought the camper home, and am getting it ready to go for the season, I can't hardly wait to get into full on summer mode!!! ;D

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Great pics Tom and nothing better than having those fire pits heat up your anticipation! Makes you wonder what stories were told or meals cooked in it.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
I could spend the whole day there sitting and thinking Tom. Thanks for taking us along again - it never gets old!

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011
Nice ones Tom! That's a neat spot. Nice little boat you've got there too. Looks like fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread