The hematite collection

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
100_2802.jpg
Here is most of the heavy rock I have collected average 1 piece per campsite every other year and always a rubbed down crayon for paint pigment I assume,a close look reveals the scratches or witness marks very personal and cool to me anyway. the upper left piece is unworked and shown just for reference lower right piece has a fine but broken bit edge.

OP
OP
iowa trout

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks Chief hematite in your area too and how about the rest of you tribe members here? Left piece a broke axe?hand axe tool? that fits in the hand/fingerholds in a # of ways beautifully.
100_2803.jpg

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
I can't remember what it was that a lot of hematite pieces where used for, grinding red ocher maybe? Nice group :thumbsup:

Wick

Greenie
Mar 28, 2011
Central IA
That's a lot of Hematite. I've got a few pieces of it mostly very smooth with the scratch marks in it. I did find a shattered Hematite celt a few years ago that was probably 3" long before it got broke, it was a heart breaker.

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Hematite is one of those materials that you just can't stop yourself from bending down and touching it, picking it up and rubbing your thumd back and forth across. Strange effect it has on me. It's just fun to hold in your hand. Nice collection!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions