Nebo, Agate, or Sedalia?

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a few more to look at...any thoughts on what they are would again be appreciated.
neboorsedalia.jpg

nebooragate.jpg

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call the one on the left in the pic on your hand a Sedalia for sure. The one on the right is almost certianly a Nebo, and the one in the middle is tough to tell from the pic, but has a lot of Sedalia attributes. The one in the lower pic is also likely a Sedalia. Of the three, Agate Basins will be the finest in manufacture, followed by Sedalia and finally Nebo. Nebos tend to be more "spike-like" with narrower widths and thicker cross sections. Sedalias are normally slightly better made than Nebos, are often wider, and typically have a slightly mucronate tip. Agates are the finest made of the three. They will be covered in pressure flakes, be very lenticular in cross section, have a ground base, and be much thinner than the other two for a similar sized point.

Thanks for the pics!

Matt

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Matt G- thanks for the information on these points, it's obvious I have a lot to learn and from your posts you are the guy to learn from. One question for you, you mentioned some of the broken pieces looked like transitional paleo tools, bases, and tips. With that said, is it possible for me to find a true paleo artifact? I know this is a impossible question to answer but with all the years and hours on this campsite, I have never picked up anything fluted...would love to find a clovis. Thx!

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You live in a great part of the state for finding paleo..........I'm certain that you probably have some in your collection now. The point on the other post (that your dad found) would be paleo if it is indeed and Agate Basin. Your Clovis is out there........

Matt

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Matt G- love hearing this, I have searched high and low for the elusive clovis. I am very, very excited about the next couple years as one of my campsite owners will be brush mowing, cedar removing, burning, and sod busting 5-10 acres of soil on a bluff that has not seen daylight since the 1940's. This is truly a once in life opportunity for an artifact hunter and when it occurs I will have digital camera and HD video camcorder in hand to document my day in that soil...thanks for the optimistic response!

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I'm not sure which they are but I know they're beauties. One thing I don't like about the picture, and I don't mean to criticize here, is the hand underneath them. It doesn't really look like mine. :BangHead: ;D Congratulations on the fantastic pieces!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread