Found some this past week!

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a long time (>1 year!) since I have had a chance to go look for artifacts. Lots of overtime in the past year at work, lots of projects around the house, three-year-old son, etc., etc,......I'm sure you all know the routine! Well, I got off work a couple hours early on Thursday and got a hall pass to look until dark. Talked to the landowner and made sure I still had permission.....then went walking. I am quite happy with what I found! I just never found very many points up here in my part of Iowa, so this is a very productive hunt for me.

2012-03-22173508.jpg

First in situ.......is it all there?

2012-03-22173602.jpg

Yes it is! Woo hoo! Nice woodland point made from heated Burlington.

2012-03-22175005.jpg

Saw the second one from 20 feet away.....nicely poised on a dirt platform.

2012-03-22175048.jpg

I've found several of these very small Adens here......

2012-03-22184643.jpg

Third one....I couldn't possibly be lucky enough to have another complete one right?

2012-03-22184749.jpg

Yes! Its not a G10, but its neat! A woodland point made from heated fossil Burlington with an impact fractured and repaired tip.

2012-03-22175530.jpg

No in situ because I thought it was a flake until I flipped it......I'm counting it as complete because the damage was all sustained while it was in use on an arrow and has all been repaired by the user. Its an Okoboji point, related to Pelican lake types.

2012-03-22182154.jpg

Heartbreaker of the day.....a five-notch Cahokia point! My wife found another Cahokia in this same spot close to ten years ago.

2012-03-22205005.jpg

Group shot. I also found a complete biface of raw white chert about 4" long as well as two nice scrapers, several midsections, and a nice, heavily ground archaic base (likely Thebes).
Hope to get out again soon......My wife is currently three days overdue with our second, so we'll have to see....
Matt

Last edited:

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Matt,
good hunt for artifacts.

Farmers field? Sure picked up a few, nice.

Thanks for showing them.

Congrat on your second son/daughter.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
WOW Matt, congrats on the nice hand full of points there. If anyone deserves to get into them like that, it would be you.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
A day hunting rocks can't get much better than that Matt and I know how much you've been wanting to get out!

That Cahokia even makes ME cry! What a sweet little piece.

Good luck with the new one that's on the way and we'll see you again in another year. Lol!! (I'm in the same boat as you)

Thanks for taking us along.

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Wow Matt! That's a pretty nice haul, especially after a long dry spell. You deserve it! I hope you can get out there a little more often. I've never seen a five notch!
Killer points!

cgoings

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all:

I thought you might be interested in some chert exposure maps I am creating for Iowa. I am doing it one county at a time and have Henry and Washington counties done. I am working on Louisa County right now. It takes awhile to publish each map because I am ground-truthing as I go. You can go to Rolling Hills Consulting Services :: Home and click on County Chert Maps to access them. If you follow RHCS on Facebook, you will be notified when the next map is up.

Hope this is helpful!

Chad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions