Black Beauty

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I was searching a gravel bar today, really hoping to find a shark's tooth but didn't have any luck on them. I was in a different river system than I was when I found my first one a couple of weeks ago. Crawling around on my hands and knees put my old eyes right on top of the action and artifacts started making their way into my pocket. I found a broken heartbreaker and a few minutes later a real beauty, a black beauty. I found another broken base and several crinoid stems as well as other assorted fossils. I did find one large tooth. It looks like a nasty one, whatever it was. It's very old and blackened with time in the river. If anyone has any ideas on it's owner, I'm open to suggestions.

Here's the first broken piece that would have been a beauty.

bp1.jpg

bp2.jpg

bp3.jpg

Here is my black beauty.

point1.jpg

point2.jpg

point3.jpg

blackpoint.jpg

All three pieces, including the last broken base.

points.jpg

Here is the tooth I found. Too bad it wasn't from a shark.

tooth.jpg

Assorted crinoids, brachiopods and a couple of colony coral pieces.

crinoids.jpg

brac.jpg

coral.jpg

Group shot

group.jpg

I also came across some large crystal covered rocks. I broke off a couple of pieces and brought them home for the shelf.

crystal4.jpg

crystal3.jpg

crystal2.jpg

And a couple of wildflowers. Got to always give them a little space in the camera.

Phlox

phlox.jpg

Wild Ginger or Colt's Foot

Ginger1.jpg

Ginger2.jpg

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Very nice finds Tom. Amazing what a little closer view can produce as we sometimes take for granted the fully exposed pieces just laying there. Great pictures and the crystals are pleasing to the eyes. I'm guessing whatever sandbars you were looking are probably several feet under water by now! but hey, that makes for a whole new ballgame!!:icon_thumleft:

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Wowzers neat haul there Tom I cant get over the blue specks in blackie that is a far out point.I think without confirming your tooth is lower jaw k-9 from that of your friend the coyote. One shark tooth per year should keep a fella satisfied hmmmm better get with the crawfish .

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Those are some really nice finds. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Yeah, I'm guessing that I'd need a snorkel to hunt that gravel bar today. We really needed that gully washer last night. That should clean the bars and bring a few things to the surface.
Trout, I think the blue specks are just tiny grains of sand that is catching the blue light that is being reflected back off of my camera lens from the background. And I'm sure you're right about the tooth. It sure looks old, though.
Thanks, old digger. I brought home a little bit of everything, including a couple of old marbles that aren't in the picture.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
That little black point is a smoker!!! I don't see much of that black material around this way. Some great pictures as well, It's great to be able to get out and pursue things again!

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
that just got the blood pumping a lot! darn nice artifacts...hoping for my first trip out in a week or so...

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Southern California/Beijing
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great. Now I want to move to Iowa, nice job. Anyway, good finds, I love that rock!
HH,
Guad

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Nice Black Point. I've been Looking for my 1st for over 20 years and still looking.goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Congradulation, I have been looking for my 1st Arrowhead for over 20 years

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
I would take a day like that anyday Uncle Tom!

I would like to use my imagination and optimism and say it's a black bear tooth as they were common to Iowa historically. However, iowa trout is probably right!

At any rate, I would have been driving home with a big 'ol smile on my face.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread