Pottery Shards and A Hafted Scraper

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Rain put a hold on work this morning so I headed out to one of my fields, hoping the ground would be bare and beat down. There was a little more trash on the ground than I would have liked but it wasn't too bad. I found a couple of pottery shards and a nice hafted scraper. A hafted scraper is one that was attached to a handle. It was either made this way for that purpose or it might have been a point that was broken and reworked to use as a scraper. I walked down to the creek after I finished in the field but it was a little too high and muddy after the rains. I washed the pottery in the water and realized that the second piece had a little design on the back side. A little bonus.

Here is the first pottery shard. You'll notice my truck parked in the field in the background of a couple of pictures. I'm able to drive back into this field and park right next to the site. It's nice to not have to walk 2 1/2 miles to get to every site, especially when I'm turning 60 this year. I need a few more drive up areas like this.

shard1a.jpg

shard1b.jpg

shard1c.jpg

Here is the second piece.

shard2a.jpg

shard2b.jpg

shard2c.jpg

shard2d.jpg

And here is the hafted scraper.

scraper1.jpg

scraper2.jpg

scraper3.jpg

Here is an example of the chert flakes that are scattered around all over this bluff top.

chips1.jpg

chips2.jpg

Virginia Water leaf in the timber on the way down to the creek.

VW3.jpg

VW4.jpg

White Baneberry, also down on the side of the bluff in the timber. Where there's Baneberry, there's usually ginseng close by. And I just happen to know that there is some ginseng growing down in there. I didn't see any today but it's there, at least that's what a little bird told me. :icon_thumleft:

bane.jpg

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Good stuff Tom:thumbsup: I'll be turning a zero number this year too, I know what you mean. I have been having a hard time getting to this page, glad I finally made it!!!
Anybody else having issues?

Last edited:

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Nice haul pup some real goodies big jag way cool .Hmmm when does one reach old boy status anyway ? Is that a artifact flippin stick or a cane ? Drive up areas ,parking next to site,not have to walk ,you say.Sounds like the wise old owl to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread