40 tons of dirt...

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
basement is dug, now what!? 40 tons of dirt and a pretty small sift, found some indian corn...looks like a prank from 1point, last pic are artifacts found on this site and around it. 1point...see you at the hole after church.
p3.jpg

p2.jpg

p4.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of sifting. Are you doing it all by yourself or do you have a helper? But it looks like you are being rewarded for the effort. Looks like some mighty nice finds. Sure are quite a few point bases without the tips. You might want to hang your sifter from quad poles. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
old digger- like the quad poles idea...digging and sifting is new to me, 1point and another buddy will be chucking some dirt into the sift for sure, hope something is found. the artifact pic are all surface finds over the last few years.

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Ouch! Another site going under the sod! That's too bad. I've lost many, many sites over the last few years to new homes. I guess an area that was appealing for occupation a thousand years ago still holds those appealing qualities today. Good luck with the sifting and get all that you can while you can. The days on that site are numbered.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Hmmm I know where a few 100 thousand acres of that indian corn grows there must be some natives still around.

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
Looks like you all are in for allot of manual labor there, better get 1point some real thick cushioned gloves ( don't want him to get blisters ). :laughing9:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a placer gold miner who owns a portable trommel. Just feed the dirt in and let it wash away the dirt and spit out everything larger from the end!

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason- that's a great idea...1point get the trommel lined up! Arrowheadlee...agree with the gloves for 1point!

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the dirt to sift is on the bottoms of the piles they dug out. Paleohunter, we still have some time to shake -n - bake through some of it......

Lee, send a couple pairs of gloves:laughing7:

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
Lee, send a couple pairs of gloves:laughing7:

I may have to, I got word you that you already killed the stores stock over that way this last winter & spring. I'll see if I can find you that type you like the best (best gloves for dish pan hands). :laughing7:

You guy's need to get them artifacts out of them piles so we can see them.

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi PaleoHunter,

Just an idea...Maybe One pile is the "Topsoil" scoops, then next pile is the "2nd level", and so forth...is it possible to ask the crane operator? I'd have to do random checks of each pile and try to narrow down the search. Or...the older tools will be on Top.

MinerGirl

OP
OP
PaleoHunter

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
MinerGirl- your exactly right, need to narrow the search down, there has to be artifacts here somewhere, 1point and i have both found points, scrapers, drills, axes, etc. right here where this basement was dug and all around it. this site covers a fair amount of land, the whole ridge down to the bottoms. woodland and archaic for sure, although 1point and i feel there is paleo origins here as well. 1point, i don't know what shake-n-bake means but count me in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread