lets start something

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to start something,by sharing treasure stories with others.I was born in Ky and grew up there.I now live in Tn. and don't get back to the old places where I grew up much,so figured I'd share some memories and stories from when I was young.Maybe some other people in this hobby can make use of them.I'm sort of worried,cause I've heard stories of some people being robbed or having their house broke into after someone told of something they had.I hope and believe that most people are honest,so we'll see what happens. When I was about 11 or 12 I lived in Covington,Ky, just across the river from Cincinnatti,Ohio.There was a couple that lived on Oliver street in Covington.Their names were Wells and they had a grandson named Curt Wells.Me and Curt were very good friends and spent a lot of time together.He was practially raised by his grand parents.When his grandpa would get off work he would come home,empty his pockets and lay everything on the mantle in the living room.Then get in his easy chair,turn on wrestling and take a nap while his wife who's name was Lee Ann would fix supper.One Friday I went down there to spend the week-end with Curt,well when his grandpa got home from work he gave me and Curt each a silver dollar.We didn't want to lose them so we layed them up on the left end of the mantle where his grandpa usually put his stuff.Well we forgot about them till Sunday when we wanted to go buy something.When we went and looked on the mantle,they weren't there.When we asked his grandpa if he knew where they were and told him where we had put them,he said they were probally behind the mantle.He said he had lost a pocket knife and a lot of change behind it.He asked Lee Ann and she said that when she was cleaning Saturday some things got knocked off and fell behind it.Well we looked and sure enough there was a crack about 3/4 inches wide between the mantle and wall.I figure there is at least two silver dollars,not counting what his grandpa and other people have lost behind that mantle.The house was probally 60 or 70 years old then.This would have been back about 1960 or 61. I figured the house was tore down by now,but I saw Curts aunt about a year ago and she said the house was still there and had people living in it back in 2002.I'm sure that over the years the house has been rented to a lot of people and may have been remodeled,or maybe somebody just put a nail in the mantle and closed the crack the best they could without taking the mantle out from the wall.His grandpa died about three months after this so I know he didn't get to look behind the mantle.After he died Lee Ann and Curt had to move to Corbin,Ky to live with Lee Anns sister,so they didn't get to look behind it either.They are doing a lot of renovating around Covington,renewing and building.Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be empty and about to be tore down.I couldn't get the address,but it seem like the best I can remember the house sat bout in the middle of the block.It was a three story house and they rented the second and third floor,at the time the house was panted green.They also had a daughter named Nancy.His grandpas name was Fred.Oliver street is only one block long,I remember it was close to Eastern ave. and St, Elizabeth Hospital.Also wasn't real far from the toll bridge that went over to NewPort,Ky.If you stood in the middle of the street and looked toward Cincinnatti,the house would have been on the right side of the street.The second floor had the kitchen and dining room on the left when you went in,on the right was the living room with a fireplace and mantle.The bedrooms were on the third floor.This may not pan out for anybody,but I hope the house is there and ready to be tore down and somebody finds a pocketfull of money behind the mantle.His grandpa worked for a company named Lawsons,I know among other things they made metal carbage cans.If you can find this company they may have records of him and his address.I will try to post another one tomorrow for either Kentucky or Tennessee.I urge anybody that may get to go in and look to get permission and unless it is about to be demolished,don't do any damage to the house.H.H. and I hope this lead helps somebody. ky.rebel :coffee2:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello KY Rebel,
I know there is a couple people on here that live in that area, so hopefully it will get checked out and you can find an end to the Story.
If it doesn't workout, you still have left some good info on how mantles can hide treasure. I personally have searched mantles and came out with some very cool items. My latest finds were from my home that was built in 1848 and having 4 fireplaces. I searched 2 of the mantles after some remodeling and discovered a couple large cents, buttons from the 1800's, medicine bottles,coat weights, a letter written in the 1800's and a Christmas card and some other items from the same time era. It is very cool to find something like this hidden waiting for someone like us to discover it.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
K

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nova Treasure where bouts in Ky. are you? have some other leads I'm going to be posting for southern ky. maybe some of them will be closer to you. none will be for huge treasures,just something to help make a fun week-end of hunting.thought some of the other old timers might follow suit and post some leads for their states.don't expect anyone to give away any big treasure secrets,but theres a lot of leads that I will never get back to and with my health now,not able to check out. at least this way somebody may get a chance to look for them. mine will be for ky. & tn. but I'm sure theres others out there that have leads for other states. some may even post leads close to us that we are able to look for, so it may come back to benifit me in the long run. I wouldn't spend a lot of money or travel for a long way on my leads,they will be for small finds,but if you live near and got nothing better to do, a little research and a few hours looking may pay off with something.In my leads I will try to give all the info I can pertaining to the lead to make it easier to find. wish I could have got the address for this one,but a little research will turn it up. hope I don't find out someone broke into the place and tore it all up looking for it. good luck to all and H.H. Fred :coffee2:

K

Kentucky Kache

ky.rebel, this is my kind of treasure hunting, and this is my kind of thread. Thank you for starting it. I started one last year like this, about teaming up with others across the country, swapping leads or giving someone a lead for a percentage of anything found. If you'd like to read it:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,284178.0.html

I'm looking forward to what you have for KY. Thanks again.

7centsworth

Oct 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
I am from larue county ky. Mostly coin hunt but occasionally relic hunt.

OP
OP
K

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 centsworth, I hope you ment laurel county.I have some leads for whitley county whitch ain't too far from there. anyhow,back to why I'm on here.I found out the address on oliver street.It was 405,so now all you got to do is go see if its empty. fred H.H.

OP
OP
K

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: maybe this is catching on.I saw where Frankn posted a lead for out west on metal detecting forum, maybe if this keeps up we all get a few new places to hunt. H.H. Fred

spoon

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm brand spanking new to the MD world. I live in Western Ky and have a few excellent places to relic hunt. I am looking to team up with someone who can provide instruction and pointers. I live on 1 spot where there was a spring resort in the 1800's. Long gone today but the landscape remains. Looking forward to meeting fellow Kentuckians in the hunt.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
spoon said:
I'm brand spanking new to the MD world. I live in Western Ky and have a few excellent places to relic hunt. I am looking to team up with someone who can provide instruction and pointers. I live on 1 spot where there was a spring resort in the 1800's. Long gone today but the landscape remains. Looking forward to meeting fellow Kentuckians in the hunt.

Hello Spoon and welcome. I live in western ky too. Where are you located?

spoon

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huntress....I live in Kuttawa with family in Mayfield and Hopkinsville. You?

spoon

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crofton......yeah I have spent plenty of time there. I used to be a Police Officer in hoptown. North Christian is a beautiful area. Do you know of anyone that has pinpointed the area where the confederate camp was on North Main in hopkinsville? I know there is a bronze sign there but don't know the exact location.

I spent the holidays getting to know my MD. I think I found every aluminum can and barbed wire fence in a square mile area. I found nothing of significance yet but that's not stopping me. My in-laws owned an old farm nearby and my brother-in-law and myself plan to cover it this spring and summer when i get home. Md'ing is relaxing and frustrating as I have discovered. I will share any leads I get with ya since we are fairly close by.

I'm attempting to pinpoint the location of an old hotel/resort as well as the area where Cobb's Battery, CSA, initially trained prior to going to Clarksville for service. Any leads would be appreciated.

spoon

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I married into kuttawa. I love this "village" and hoptown doesn't have a lake.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
spoon said:
Crofton......yeah I have spent plenty of time there. I used to be a Police Officer in hoptown. North Christian is a beautiful area. Do you know of anyone that has pinpointed the area where the confederate camp was on North Main in hopkinsville? I know there is a bronze sign there but don't know the exact location.

I spent the holidays getting to know my MD. I think I found every aluminum can and barbed wire fence in a square mile area. I found nothing of significance yet but that's not stopping me. My in-laws owned an old farm nearby and my brother-in-law and myself plan to cover it this spring and summer when i get home. Md'ing is relaxing and frustrating as I have discovered. I will share any leads I get with ya since we are fairly close by.

I'm attempting to pinpoint the location of an old hotel/resort as well as the area where Cobb's Battery, CSA, initially trained prior to going to Clarksville for service. Any leads would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about the confederate camp but it sounds interesting. Detecting anything in town might not sit well with some people if you know what I mean. Don't know if it is legal or not since there is the possibility of finding civil war relics. Are there any old home sites on your family's property, like dating back in the early 1900's? That would be the place to detect. I will do so background searches on the Cobb's Battery to see if I can help you out. I know all about finding the aluminum cans, pull tabs, rusty nails and whatever else is made of metal. I have went thru 2 diggers and numerous blisters on my hands finding such items. keep in touch..

OP
OP
K

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone ever check out the mantel on the story that started this thread ? Would really like to know if anything was ever found.

[email protected]

Feb 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 centsworth, I hope you ment laurel county.I have some leads for whitley county whitch ain't too far from there. anyhow,back to why I'm on here.I found out the address on oliver street.It was 405,so now all you got to do is go see if its empty. fred H.H.

What kinda lead for whitley county im less than 15 miles from there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread