First Hunt - First Finds

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my MD arrived today and finally got the chance to go hunting in my backyard.

Before I had even stepped off the patio with my feet on the lawn I was getting readings. Good readings, coin beeps. As I get ready to start digging after pinpointing a target, dinner is ready. So all I can think about for the next 20 minutes is what will I find, will it be silver, will it be clad, maybe even gold.

I get back outside and pinpoint my target again and begin to dig my plug. Those videos on YouTube sure do make it look easy. My first plug was anything but pretty, and it took me about 15 minutes to find my treasure in this mess of dirt that I created. What was it you say?

A bottle cap, Bud Light. All of a sudden I remember tossing a couple caps around and losing them last summer. I laugh it off and move on to my next coin hit. This time it is yes, another bottle cap.

Lessons learned though. Plugs are tricky at first, but get easier. I dug several more in the next hour, but struck out on treasure with each one that I dug. Time to work on my pinpointing to improve my recovery rate!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Pin pointing will come "naturally" as you spend time with your machine. Back in the old days, alot of detectorists "dug" with a screwdriver...those guys knew how to pin point a target!

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pin pointing will come "naturally" as you spend time with your machine. Back in the old days, alot of detectorists "dug" with a screwdriver...those guys knew how to pin point a target!

Hoping I can be that good one day! I must admit I was more successful today. 2 holes, 2 items recovered in 30 minutes before dark, clad and junk unfortunately. Starting to get the hang of it pretty quickly I hope. *knocks on wood*

DaveinKy

Mar 3, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GreatElb, My first dig was pretty mundane, as well. I dug four plugs in one hour. The first two finds were old potted meat cans. However, the next two yielded a clad dime and a 1980 penny. I struggled with the pin pointing, too. Also, broke my cheap digging tool. I'm new to this hobby and already have determined that you need good accessories, such as, a well-made digging tool and, a good pin pointer. My brand new freebie pin pointer didn't last very long. When it did work, it had to practically be touching the object to give off a signal. Anyway, like in all things, experience comes through learning your machine and being able to distinguish the info the machine is giving back to you. Hope you continue to keep at it. Good Hunting!

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did get a couple of hours in the backyard with better success pinpointing and digging this morning. Feeling a little more comfortable with my machine and the feedback it is giving me with each target.

Thought I had my first silver today but it ended up being a 1969 quarter. I'm finding that I have a lot of iron signals (beeps every few feet, multiple in each swing) but with a little tweaking of the discrimination and sensitivity I had better success locating targets in the ground.

I'll be back for some those iron beeps later to find out exactly what they are. Just not ready for to dig an 8"+ deep hole in my yard yet. Pulled an aluminum can from 6" down the first night, so I'm afraid it will be all work for some junk left over when the land was worked for our subdivision 20+ years ago after it was once farm land.

Now I just need to find a place to go and get out of my own backyard tomorrow while the lady is out of town before I have to start on the honey-do list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread