It doesnt look like a quarter Dad!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
It doesn't look like a quarter Dad!

So I have my two boys out detecting an old home site yesterday, they take turns walking with the detector and when they hit a signal that they want to dig, I dig the plug, find the object then move on to the next target. We've been hunting about 30 minutes and we'd recovered 10 clad coins when my oldest son hits a loud signal, I dig it and see a coin the size of a quarter that has a reed edge, I say to him "nice quarter, what date is it?" He's rubbing on it as I'm moving on to dig a target that my youngest son has hit and he shouts out to me, "it doesn't look like a quarter Dad." I had a gut feeling on what he'd found as I started his way, huge smile on my face and I shout back to him "no you didn't, no you didn't!" He hands me a slightly tarnished silver coin, a Standing Liberty! I can't believe it. I tackle him and we roll around on the ground, get up, hugs and high fives and I'm about to turn on the tears. He just found his first silver and it happens to be a very hard coin to score. He is one very lucky kid! In my 15 years of on and off detecting, I've only managed to find one.

As I begin to give the coin a light field cleaning, there's no date, for which I had already prepared him for... which bums him out (he wants to find the oldest coin every time), no mint mark either...ok, no big deal. Flip it over, cleaning the area below the eagle....no stars! Wow, with that information, I already know that it's one of two years, a 1916 or 1917 Type 1 variety. Now all three of us are jumping, yelling, rolling and high fiving. He did win the oldest coin of the day after all.

We've looped the date area of the coin for about an hour now and we can make out the second digit 9 with no problem. The base of the fourth digit does look like a 7 but, a portion of the third digit looks like an 8?! Weird. We may look into having the date raised on this one, just for his sake, he wants to know for sure! LOL. What a lucky kid!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF3424.JPG
    DSCF3424.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF3423.JPG
    DSCF3423.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 271

idnc68

Feb 26, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell him congrats on a great find .

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

idnc68

Feb 26, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol yeah I can understand his thought I'd want to try it again to . Well it's a good hobby hopefully something they will enjoy many years to come

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find and an even greater story to last a lifetime.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great story, this is the best hobby in the world.

You are one lucky man.

SirDiggsALot

Aug 25, 2015
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed! If I ever find one I'll probably pass out lol

Last edited:
OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Last two digits appear vertical, as on the 1917.
Great save nevertheless; dated variety ones are nearly impossible to find.
Don...

It also lacks some of the obvious characteristics of the 1916....thanks to tnet members who really know their way around coins!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell the young fella that I said "well done".

That's a really nice coin, as you well know. Good luck to all of you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread