Log Cabin In The Woods

sonny60

Jul 20, 2007
Falmouth, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
What would you think if you walked into the woods and saw this log cabin sitting down in the holler? My partner, flynndfx40, and I thought we had hit detecting heaven. Searched for 2 hrs. Several old bottles, a pocket knife (plastic handles), a crescent wrench, and a brass wedding ring. No coins. Boy, were we disappointed. Dead giveaway: tin roofing and tongue-in-groove flooring. We think the cabin had been moved in from somewhere else and a back room added on. The metal plate on the window is actually a 4-part hood off an early 1900's car and is full of bullet holes. Oh well, back to the drawing board and more research.

Attachments

• jspn_HPIM0773.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0773.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6,423
  • jspn_HPIM0771.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0771.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,250
  • jspn_HPIM0770.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0770.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 959
  • jspn_HPIM0772.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0772.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 946
  • jspn_HPIM0768.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0768.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 921
  • jspn_HPIM0769.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0769.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 923

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
What a place if I walked up on something like that i would keep going back until I was sure every inch had been hunted. By the way where is your Orange Hat or something you know what time of the year it is around here. Look in the mortar real close if it has a lot of history there could be arrowheads in there. Anyway great find and enjoy it.

Later Jimmy

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Don't forget muzzle-loader in Dec! And, youth hunt weekend!, that's gun!

Nice pics! Any initials on the ring?

Cavers5

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hmmmmm, public land or private land? Looks like someone had added a metal roof and rechinked the cabin. Permission to hunt? Sorry, had to ask...

nicademusx

Greenie
Feb 9, 2008
ohio
it's an old huntin shack. I know that you guys know this but be careful down in the hollers. People dont much like other folk stickin their nose where it don't belong. if you know what i mean, and everyone in the holler has at least two guns, one for deer and one for rabbit. ;D

Rebel 012

Greenie
Aug 28, 2009
Wow what a coincidence, To open this web site and see such a sucluded place that I have rumaged around so many times and metal detected. It sits between Powell and Milford right? My wife has dug several nice bottles from the floor there. I found a few relics, two indian head cents, two spoons not silver, A Barlow knife (pretty eaten up) 1 Liberty nickel. And my best from there was a 1852 Seated Liberty dime. I guess it really is a small world.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel 012 said:
Wow what a coincidence, To open this web site and see such a sucluded place that I have rumaged around so many times and metal detected. It sits between Powell and Milford right? My wife has dug several nice bottles from the floor there. I found a few relics, two indian head cents, two spoons not silver, A Barlow knife (pretty eaten up) 1 Liberty nickel. And my best from there was a 1852 Seated Liberty dime. I guess it really is a small world.

That makes sense. I wondered it had been detected before since sonny said there was a brass wedding band found there. (Those are typical finds for me at mid-1800s sites.) Finding the brass band didn't make as much sense if the cabin had been moved from elsewhere. Still always good to get out and swing. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Rebel 012 said:

That makes sense. I wondered it had been detected before since sonny said there was a brass wedding band found there. (Those are typical finds for me at mid-1800s sites.) Finding the brass band didn't make as much sense if the cabin had been moved from elsewhere. Still always good to get out and swing. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles
That aint a Cabin my freind its a barn.. allmost looked like a smoke house at first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread