Burtville, La Token

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX
I found a token from Burtville, La. a few weeks ago in St. Francisville and had never even heard of Burtville. Come to find out that it was located along the river in east baton rouge parish where bayou manchac runs into the mississippi river. I was able to find the following information about burtville.

Located along the (East) River Road (SR 327, in part) only about 13 miles south of downtown Baton Rouge (or only 9 miles along SR 30, a straighter route. Founded ca. 1887 as a logging camp by well-known lumberman and financier William L. Burton with C.S. Burt as his business partner in this venture. Burton apparently graciously offered to name the establishment "Camp Burt," and it soon came to be called "Burtville." A company store was in operation from ca. 1887 to ca. 1942. The Burtville Post Office was established 1892 and was closed 1932. Most of the surrounding land had long been cleared and farmed at the time of the Burtville logging camp, and the loggers began calling it "Burtville Plantation;" The name has stuck to this day, conveying the misconceived notion of a typical antebellum cotton plantation, which Burtville itself definitely was not. In 1903 the entire Burtville Plantation was purchased by Italian emigrant Sabin Gianelloni, who had previously purchased the adjacent Longwood Plantation. Gianelloni had worked as a clerk in the town of Plaquemine and had saved his money to realize the American dream of owning land. Gianelloni's descendents still own Burtville and adjacent Longwood Plantations today. Local lore has it that Frank James (brother of Jesse) as a traveling salesman passed through in 1912 and sold a quantity of shoes to the Burtville General Store. Only about 1.5 miles downriver from the site of Burtville is the mouth of Bayou Manchac [MAN-shak](now truncated by the levee), which was the international boundary between British West Florida and French Louisiana, and later (1762-1803) between British West Florida and Spanish Louisiana, which in 1803 became the Louisiana Purchase, then the Louisiana Territory USA, . In 1765 the British built Fort Bute on the north bank of Bayou Manchac, and in 1767 the Spanish governor of Louisiana, Antonio de Ulloa built Fort Manchac adjacent to the long established Indian village of Manchac (another ghost town). Submitted by: David B. Crider

Here's a photo of the Token along with the rest of the finds from the hunt.

LPRhodesToken.jpg

LPRhodesTokenReverse.jpg

BrassGear.jpg

BrassTackBuckle.jpg

CopperRivets.jpg

HarmonicaReed.jpg

Knife2.jpg

Knife3.jpg

Knife4.jpg

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds, Ricky :thumbsup: Never heard of Burtville either, and had to Google it. The token is probably a rare find, might be worth $$.

:wink: RR

Greg G

Dec 30, 2010
Burtville 'Plantation' Article

Just found your message about finding the token at the Burtville 'Plantation' in the Baton Rouge area. I was excited to read this, as my dad was born on the Longwood Plantation which is located nearby. While I was growing up in nearby Baton Rouge, my mom would take me and my younger brother to Longwood on Saturdays to 'turn us loose and let us play' on the hundreds of acres of pastures that were still undeveloped back then. Mom was working for Mr. S. J. Gianelloni at the time as his secretary, and our family of 7 kids all enjoyed our time out there. I now live in Atlanta, but still have plenty of family still in the Baton Rouge area, and still like to travel by and visit the plantation when we go back for a visit. I also remember the Burtville main house, but it has long been gone, as well as a lot of the buildings, barns, and mill ponds that were located on the two properties.
I would love to see what you have been able to uncover on the Burtville site. Is there a link to any pictures or a list, and would any of it be for sale?

Thanks,

G. J. Gianelloni

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumping for Greg.

Welcome to T-Net Greg.

I moved your post into this thread as it appeared this was what you meant to reply to. :icon_thumright:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome. It may be a while before you get a reply. The original poster of this thread was last on two and a half months ago. There is an option to receive an email each time a response is made for a given thread, you might consider that for this one.

fonfixer

Feb 18, 2008
blanchard, la
Detector(s) used
dfx
Good finds, all I ever find are zinc pennies, pull tabs and crummy old buttons. (Just kidding ya about buttons, its still my best find to date.) I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, no pun intended. Between work and family there ain't been time for nothing else. I do have an old shack in my sights when things slowdown. I can only hope to be as good as you are at this game someday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread