dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Where is this located? Interesting mark in the middle...

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any idea who may have made this or what it is? View attachment 1446723

It is definitely of the 1886 era as indicated by the feather and wedges used to split the granite. My guess is that it is a property marker showing where the deeds of four landowners intersect.

It could possibly be the boundary lines where four towns come together, but that would most likely have been indicated by rock walls in Maine (the majority being made between 1830-1850). Unorganized townships were generally just marked by notching trees with an axe.

My bet is on the former.

OP
OP
R

rbanton

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2017
Maine
Detector(s) used
X3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely of the 1886 era as indicated by the feather and wedges used to split the granite. My guess is that it is a property marker showing where the deeds of four landowners intersect.

It could possibly be the boundary lines where four towns come together, but that would most likely have been indicated by rock walls in Maine (the majority being made between 1830-1850). Unorganized townships were generally just marked by notching trees with an axe.

My bet is on the former.

It is a few hundred feet from a large brook and right next to the road that has been there since well before the date on the stone. Is the cross a templar cross ? Most recently I found another stone burried about 20 feet from it. I did not unearth the stone as I wanted to leave it in it's original found location for now. This other stone has no marking as I saw just from the top. It is in the shape of an arrow that points towards the brook.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks Templar, but the date doesn’t make sense if it is Templar. My bet is it’s a grave marker. Maine is full of little cemetery’s that often are completely forgotten

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread