maryland hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I discovered a new "in" to hunt back yards! I offer to "survey&recover" items in old back yards. I do it on a 50/50 basis. I have a Whites XLT so I can tell the good targets from the bad ones fairly consistently. I got in two yards before the last snow. The first one was wall to wall nails. On the second one I found a 200 year old blacksmith made ax at about 10". It cleaned up perfectly. I also found a gold ring with a 2ct. ruby. Estimated $2000 value. I also found 2 copper oil container tags. one marked penn-amo 40 wt. the other amoco light. There were also some 40 something pennies and a solid tin stamping of a steeple chase sene about the size of a silver dollar.

I have been at this since the '70s so I will give you new guys some advice: When you walk up and just ask permission, some people see this as a one sided deal. You want to take what is theirs. You have to work it like a contract, that is a contract is only legal if both parties to the contract get something out of it. Offer a 50/50 deal right up front. Also tell them about some of your better finds. If they see they can get something out of it they will be more likely to say yes.

Another thing be NEAT. The word gets around faster than you do! Use a ground clouth and the plug or flap method.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread