Massachusetts Cent

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! what a day i had... got out of work this morning and had a couple of hours too hunt. I did not want to go to far so i've been eyeing this wooded area on one corner of a main 4 way street.. according to the town history, the Town Hall was built on one of these corners back in the early 1800's. started out getting alot of modern clad and then the two wheat cents. got a loud penny signal at 5" - 6" down and thought "Oh boy another wheatie". dug down and scooped out a couple of shovel fulls of soft dirt and at first i thought i had a Large Cent. i picked up the coin and i saw part of the eagle, then i knew i had a good find, as soon as i turned it over i saw the Indian with the bow. can't get over the condition of this 221 year old coin, you can even see the string on the bow!!! my hands were shaken... this coin has been on my "Want" list for some time and is my oldest U.S. coin so far. can't wait to go back to this spot... thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_4934.JPG
    IMG_4934.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,398
  • IMG_4946.JPG
    IMG_4946.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,005

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
great find Rob you are still getting the good stuff and bill is catching up . HH JIM

OP
OP
hybrid_XLT

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim... Wild Willie sure did good yestersday finding that gold watch. i took him to a small house on a acre of wooded land and we found nothing. so we decided to hit the woods behind the house and all i came out with was a lonely 1938 wheatie .. willie saved the day!!! i love bring people to places and they find something great like that.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME looking detail on that Ma. Copper! I live in the western part of the state and find mostly Conn. and Vermont Coppers. Have yet to find a Mass. State Copper. Congratulations on a GREAT looking coin. Hogge :headbang:

OP
OP
hybrid_XLT

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Hogge, this one was high on my list of dream coins, and is my oldest U.S find...I was told that they only made this one for two years and was the very first coin to have the word "Cent" on it... I don't know if i will send it out for grading.. I lightly brushed it with a soft toothbrush just to take the dirt off it. thanks again

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 965

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
that is one awesome find my friend!!! and rob i owe you alot of credit for my success(i hope you see this toad) its been absautely great hunting with you rob, and may there be many more years to come. rob you are a true inspiration to this hobby and i can only hope someday ill be as good at it as you. your friend. willy.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Mass copper!! I found my one and only one a couple years ago and was thrilled...now go out and find a tree shilling!!!

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet ..........................banner for sure ........you got my vote . i was just looking at that in the book .........

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
A beautiful, historic piece of Massachusetts history, Coterie! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

I found one years ago, in a Mass. forest preserve, in a small clearing I could barely get my coil into! I know how thrilled you are, my friend, as thrilled as I was to find mine!

A beautiful job of cleaning....may I ask how you cleaned it? I'd very much appreciate the info.

CONGRATULATIONS on a fabulous find!

Larry G.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
That is a nice coin.
The brass piece under the nickle is a reed to an accordian or pump organ. The bullet on the left looks like civil war period .44 Johnson and Dow
Looks like you might be into a good spot.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Copper!
One of these was my first significant find! (see Avatar)
Congrats & Keep em comin!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Sweet find my friend,I'm hopeing to find one of thoes myself.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep going and you will get better.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting