1971 or before coin spill near Auburn, Massachusetts

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A photo in A.T. Evan's Treasure Hunters' Yearbook 1970- '71, p. 9, is captioned "Policeman uses a vacuum cleaner to "police up" thousands of dimes which cover the highway near Auburn, Massachusetts. $40,000 in dimes fell from an armored car when the door accidentally swung open, blanketing a one-eighth mile section of highway."

Hmmm. Photo appears to show many coins laying in the meridian where picking them up would have been both tedious and dangerous, as well as probably not able to find them all ...

dicejr2011

May 8, 2012
I spoke with the Auburn Police and the local Sate Troopers about getting permission and was denied, safety reasons, but my Uncle who is a retired Worcester policeman who lives in Auburn remembers this and said dimes were from one side of the road to the other and bags were split open in the road and down the side of the hill

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale said:
A photo in A.T. Evan's Treasure Hunters' Yearbook 1970- '71, p. 9, is captioned "Policeman uses a vacuum cleaner to "police up" thousands of dimes which cover the highway near Auburn, Massachusetts. $40,000 in dimes fell from an armored car when the door accidentally swung open, blanketing a one-eighth mile section of highway."

Hmmm. Photo appears to show many coins laying in the meridian where picking them up would have been both tedious and dangerous, as well as probably not able to find them all ...

What highway in auburn and where on the highway? I grew up in auburn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions