My latest finds

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Hi all,

Well it has been a great weekend. I found some cool stuff and got a whites MD given to me for free. My brother in law had bought it at a yard sale for 200.00 and never used it, he was getting ready to throw it when he heard that I am into the hobby. Woo hoo I feel like I hit the lottery. Of course I am going to keep my quick silver because I love it. Any now my hubby and I are of different minds as to what the half moon shaped object is... I think it looks like a childs seat to a tractor but he thinks it is a cover to a composting pit. Any one else got any suggestions? Also the buckle I found looks to be a harness buckle of some type, there are letters and words that I am going to research online. I will update what I find.

Well gotta go and get the kids to bed. Have a great week everyone.

Allmtl

Attachments

• 909.JPG
    909.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 912.JPG
    912.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 586
  • 917.JPG
    917.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 601
  • 921.JPG
    921.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 599
  • 926.JPG
    926.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 594
  • 922.JPG
    922.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 578
  • 923.JPG
    923.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 600

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
The big round thing looks like some kind of drain grating to me. What are the words/letters on it?

A second detector? Is the hubby gonna use it?

Keep on digging!
John

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
I think it's more of a grate cover of some type....
John, I think she said the words were on the buckle not the grate.....
Are there any markings on the grate at all ?

OP
OP
allmtl2008

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
John,

Oh sure take his side!!! LOL :D. The letters are hard to make most of them out so some cleaning is in order. The second MD is something I just couldn't say no to, it is for the kids or hubby &/or friends who might want to go but don't have one. Plus I think it has greater depths so I might even use it myself and use the BH as a back up.

Have a great one,

Allmtl

OP
OP
allmtl2008

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
Benny,

There is markings on both the buckle & the grate (gonna go with the majority vote) (for now!!!) :wink:. The buckle is easier to read and am researching it now.

Have a grate (lol) day,

Allmtl

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
;D It "could" be an old kids tractor seat :thumbsup: :icon_scratch:

They looked a little like grates.... didn't they ? :icon_scratch:

:icon_study: I think I saw a picture like that once ! :o

I stand corrected on the words.... I must have misunderstood..... I'm old... I get confused :icon_scratch:

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
HEy Girl! Congrats on the added machine, I now have 3 for the same reasons. :)

Tell us what the letters you can make out are on the larger item and the buckle and I'm sure we can help. I'm 50/50 n the seat, grate? My first thought was seat............but then it looks like it may have been round? Fun finds!

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
allmtl2008 said:
John,

Oh sure take his side!!! LOL :D. The letters are hard to make most of them out so some cleaning is in order. The second MD is something I just couldn't say no to, it is for the kids or hubby &/or friends who might want to go but don't have one. Plus I think it has greater depths so I might even use it myself and use the BH as a back up.

Have a great one,

Allmtl
I call them as I see them. LOL

My other detector is a BH Tracker IV. They are great machines. I've found all my best stuff with that one. I use the Garrett ACE 250 now. It's a great machine, but has some minor drawbacks. And I don't dare buy a third one( at least until the hobby pays for it). The wife would kill me.

Keep hunting. Dig everything. And learn your machine.

John

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
John ~
I didn't realize this hobby was suppose to pay for itself ! :o ::)

OK... Here's a way to get around the wife killing you for buying another machine....
( I can post this here because my wife doesn't even know how to turn the computer on, so there's no chance she'll ever see it ! ;D )

You also need a very close, trusted friend to pull this off....... One who isn't into MDing......

Go buy whatever machine you want.... but don't take it home......
Instead, you take it to your buddies house and set the plan in motion.....
Here's what's going to happen........

Your buddy will call you at home and invite you and your wife over for a visit or coffee, whatever....
You take the wife with you when you go.... this is an important step.... she's gotta be there to see and hear the conversation.........

After you're there a few minutes... your buddy will want to show you what "he" picked up at a yard sale he stopped at, just by chance...... wow ! It's a brand new machine still in the box.... never even been opened !!! COOL !!! He wants "you" to take it home and try it out and let him know if it's a good one or what...... (because he doesn't know anything about them) So, of course, you want to help your buddy out, so you take it home with you..... ( at some point in the conversation, he mentions that he got it for a mere $5.00 at this yard sale !!! ) It was a great deal.......

After a week or so.... you call him on the phone, it's important that you wife be within earshot !!!!
You rave about how great the machine is.... shit it's better then any of the ones you have ! You go on about what a great deal he got... etc. etc. Play it up....

Then you say.... nice and loud..... NO Really !!!! WOW THANKS !!!!!! I'll give you the $5.00 for it !
Then, after you hang up, you explain to the wife that he just gave it to you because he knows he'll never use it..... but you're going to give him the $5.00 he spent the next time you see him..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Of course you can go on about how he was thinking of you when he saw it and bought it because he thought it'd be something you could use, especially at that price ! .... what a great friend he is... etc. etc... play it up....

So now you've got this great new machine for only $5.00 !!!! and you're still alive to tell about it !!!
:o ;D ::)

I know this works because I've done it with other items that I wasn't suppose to buy ! :icon_king:
after 38 years of wedded bliss.... you learn how to get around obstacles.... :icon_sunny:

Now you guys don't have to go thanking me.... we should all pass on important information on how to get through life without our wives killing us for just being guys ! :icon_jokercolor:

( I can feel the daggers of the ladies out there already ! :-* )

OP
OP
allmtl2008

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
Hey ctry. grl.,

Benny & John I will get to you next!!! >:( :wink:.

The letters on the "grate"/"seat" I can make out are _EW MOD__ I am assuming (yes I do know what happens when you do that :D) that it says new model. I thought a grate at first but it kinda looks like it finishes where it does. I am going to kill pup for taking off with three of the little pieces. She played a game to show me two but that third one I fear is in a place I don't want to go :icon_pale:. The funny thing is that even after being lodged in the ground about 8 - 10" and covered over with 5#+ rocks it was still very easy to see where the pieces fit together. As for the buckle here is what I have found out which ammounts to a hill of beans so far. The buckle says ROU F. co. on top and on the bottom says PROV. So this stands for the Rou Fastener Co. out of Prov. RI. Have found a few other sites that people have found them mostly south and central USA. Mine is in the best shape of the ones I have see however. Any ways I know that they were started in the early 1900s and that the co. was absorbed by another one in the late 1980s I believe. It is brass (did I already say that?) and in really good shape. I can't wait to get my BIL's MD and try it out.

Ok grl I am going to get to Benny and John now, You have a great day!!!

Allmtl

OP
OP
allmtl2008

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
It is ok John I understand. lol. So do you do much winter detecting? I am going to try to get permission to hunt up at the Sportsmans club. Helps that FIL is on the board of directors ;D. Use whatever connections you have right? I told him that I will dig up and find everyones brass and sell it back to the ones who reload lol. He laughed. Well on to benny now. BTW just remember for all you guys little tricks we have got two of our own am I right ctry grl? :wink:

TTYS,

Allmtl

OP
OP
allmtl2008

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
OK Benny, Benny, Benny,

What are we going to do about you? Actually that is a really good one, even I have to say!!! But just remember for every one trick you guys have we have two to match it. lol. Difference is we don't go and post them for everyone to know JK. Good thing hubby was there when I was offered the MD and it was his sisters hubby or he may have thought the same thing ;D. Keep the tricks comming so that we can all learn from them he he he he. Ok enough posting I feel the need to go and dig some more. I have a real hot Iron spot in my back yard. Someone should find a place we can do a group hunt to meet up and get to know each other. Maybe even form our own little Massachusetts club or something I don't know if that is doable or even allowed but hey why not right?

Off to dig I go,

TTYL

Allmtl

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Allmtl my dear ~
Just two.... I would think you gals would have many other thoughts to our one... LOL

I can't give away "all" our little secrets..... :-\ just one to make you wonder ! Hahahahahah...

We have a good number of people from the central mass area here.... I was surprised to see so many..... but happy too.... a group hunt would be fun.... even a small group..... I'm working on some ideas for next spring... still researching, but the area is big and goes back to the 1800's....

Hope you have some good finds today....
ttyl,
Ben

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Alrighty girl, they think they have us all figured out, when in reality we have their little tricks figured out, but don't let on we know what they are up to. ;D My Hubby tried one of those "I did'nt buy it!" tricks. He had a buddy working in Maine and keeping an eye out for old tools and saws. So once a month the buddy would show up with a trinket or two. The "How much do I owe you?" "Oh don't worry about it I got it cheap" trick was going on, I did over hear the "Do you need any more money?" Spoken in a whisper. ::) He still doesn't know, I know, YET! :wink: I'm not fessing up any of my tricks though! :D

A group hunt would be fun!

Keep digging girl! I haven't had time to resaerch any of you finds, but you did a great job. Welcome to an addicting hobby!

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
;D CG... that was a good one...... BUT... I'll bet he "let" you over hear the "do you need any more money " statement, instead of letting you see him hand his friend the credit card ! Hahahhahahahahaha...... :-*

But I have to agree with you on one thing.... us guys will never have you women "figured out " ! ??? lol

Hope thing are well up in Greenfield.......

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Benny, I haven't let on that I know though.......... :-X Makes you Guys wonder if we really know, now doesn't it?

Only one thing you need to remember about a woman..............If we aren't happy..........You aren't happy! :wink: :D ;D

Things are pretty good, just need that one find of the year, this year. I'll get it! :icon_sunny:

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
CG ~ we're always wondering "if" you know.... "how much" you know... and "how long" you knew it ! :wink:
And our aim is to always keep ya happy.... ;D :wink:

I'm sure you'll get more then just one find this year.... the ground's still soft... kinda... that big one is just around the corner for ya..... I'll say an extra prayer for ya.... 8)

OP
OP
allmtl2008

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
You guys are so funny. How is a girl supposed to eat her cereal with banter like this lol. CG is right we never let on we know till the time is right. Yes Benny we do have several tricks for your every one. Well we are working on a huge hole in our yard right now not sure what it is other than definately Iron. It has been covered over by 5" roots and big ol' bolders. We had to get out the chain saw to cut out the roots and broke a shovel getting out a boulder :o. It is like the eye of a needle on one end with something attached to it and two other parts that we can not yet see the ends of. That part of the yard is really a hot spot for the iron finds. Promised my hubby I wouldn't dig on it today because my tendonitis is killing me but it is so hard to stay away :wink:. I need to find some soft ground with no roots and boulders to dig, actually I guess that would still be cheating right ???. Oh well I am off to get my latest pics (these ones are of the puppy helping dig and hubby working on the hole for me. I'll post them later.

Have a great day all,

Allmtl

Ps. Benny I got your email and browsed thru it. You are right it sounds like a very interesting place to dig. Hope we can get something together for a group hunt.

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Allmtl ~
My nephew up in Ossipee NH bought a bunch of land and built a house.... he was detecting a part of his land when he got a big iron signal...... well four hours into digging by hand a very large hole, he brought out his backhoe....... He finally uncovered an old car that someone had buried, because of the rust and all it was mainly just the old frame, but the engine was there too..... along with flat tires.... :o

How big is your hole ???? Hahahahah maybe it's that old tractor that the seat comes from ! ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread