First time out : Cortez lotza pics

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Bright sunny day, half day at work...I'm going for it! Took the new Cortez out today for the first time. I went to the old Pinckney High School which is now a senior center. It used to be our voting place and I remember seeing old class photo's in the halls from the 20's. First off it was bright sun and snow on the ground. That made it very hard to see the display. I wear glasses with the transition lenses (get darker in bright sun) and that didn't help either! So that's 2 strikes against me. Started out with Disc on foil, Notch in center (no notch I think) Sensitivity in middle (6)
I didn't ground balace (manually) because I forgot how to (doh!) I completly forgor about threshold but as I look at the setting now it looks like it was off or very low on the scale. I have to say this machine seems very complicated with all the settings available. That is not to say that I am not determined to learn it!

OK, first item dug was a small nut (fastener type!) perhaps someone was trying to tell me something! :-\ I fiddled with the notch, tried wide and narrow and that didn't seem to matter much as I still got lots of foil, screwcap, silver coin signals. So, I concentrated on good coin (silver) signals an dug the piece of aluminum, the screw cap (Budweiser) and finally a 2002 clad dime! Later, the copper tubing and the two memorials "69 & '79. The shotgon shell end came as I was walking to the car. All I can make out is Winchester No?

I got some deep silver coin signals, 6 to 7 inches but with the frozen ground...just to hard to check out.

Overall first impression...I got a lot of work to do to learn this machine. If tomorrow is nice I'll try again but I think I'll need some warmer weather and softer ground to really get to know her. Here's the pics:

Attachments

• DSC00053 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00053 (Medium).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00054 (Small).JPG
    DSC00054 (Small).JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00046 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00046 (Medium).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC00048 (Small).JPG
    DSC00048 (Small).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC00045 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00045 (Medium).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00047 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00047 (Medium).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 280

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a lot of great finds with my Cortes but I mostly do ploughed fields. I have done some grass but never found anything much below 8-9" (coin wise that is).

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Maybe tomorrows rain will loosten up that frost a little for ya.
A little quality time and that "learning curve" should become a thing of the past.
Maybe next post youllbe showing us some of those 6" and 7" targets!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you doing grass listern for the 'faint whispers', concentrate on these. Some are very faint & better one way than the other.

OP
OP
Jim 2.0

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
If you doing grass listern for the 'faint whispers', concentrate on these. Some are very faint & better one way than the other.

Thank you Crusader, I'll take all the tips I can get from you! ;D

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
The thing to worry about the most is the ground balance. Learn it and learn it well. Everything else will take care of itself. If you don't get the ground balance you won't get the depth.

OP
OP
Jim 2.0

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
Thanks Muleskinner, Just got excited 'cause it was a nice day, got home from work and rushed out without reviewing the manual. I'm thinking about taping notes on my arm like a quarterback has his plays there! ;D

Attachments

• M QB (Small).jpg
    M QB (Small).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 133

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
radiemaker said:
Thanks Muleskinner, Just got excited 'cause it was a nice day, got home from work and rushed out without reviewing the manual. I'm thinking about taping notes on my arm like a quarterback has his plays there! ;D

I had small waterproof notes in my pouch when I started off...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread