Recent Sleepy Hollow State Park trip

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Had some business down state, so I incorporated a stop at Sleepy Hollow. I had always wanted to detect there. The beach area parking is huge. There is more parking here than at daytona Beach. And a guy I know that goes there said it sees heavy use. But man what a disapointment. That beach was sterile, couldn't even hardly find a pull tab. The camping area was also a little disappointing. The roads and lots are paved. Lots are paved where the RV would park so each site has a small area of grass and dirt. The ground is heavy and mushy, not easy digging sand. Finds were OK not real heavy at all. I did manage a '53 wheat, but it was a recent drop as it was pretty much a surface find. Perhaps $1.05 in clad.

Maybe the beach just gets hunted a lot, but there was just nothin there. Maybe it gets detected hard though, who knows....
Anyone else ever try this park?

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot remember exactly how long the lake/park have been there, but I remember when they built the dam to flood the farmland to make the lake - that was in the late 60's/early 70's. So any silver found there would most likely be from the original farmers/homesteaders.

I hunted there once a few years ago as my md-ing friend wanted me and my dad to go with him. It is only about six miles from my house. I do not remember ever finding anything. This friend sometimes water hunts there for rings and such. You're right, the beach is pretty clean.

When my son was in cub scouts we used to go there for events. One time while hiking on higher ground I remember seeing old cement posts and part of a foundation which I figured belonged to the original farmstead. I do not think they would let you detect there. If I remember right this is one of the parks that has designated detecting areas.

HH,

Scott (MI)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread